Chapter XIX

Ava

Venice?

This is huge.

Gramps keeps talking, like he didn't just drop the biggest bombshell in my lap. And make no mistake - it is a bombshell and it's just exploded, sending my emotions everywhere.

"School won't be a problem," he says. "We've already talked to the principal and he agrees that with the advances you've made in the accelerated courses you will have no problem with skipping a month or two of school this winter."

My thoughts skitter but Beckett is beside me, a steady, reassuring presence. How strange that the only person I feel I can really depend on right now isn't even a member of my family.

"I...I don't know what to say," I manage.

"Well, what is there to say?" Gram says in a sprightly tone of voice. "You've always wanted to go to Italy, every since you read Romeo & Juliet for school." She stretches out her hands and takes mine. Hers are startlingly warm. That, or mine have frozen. "Just say 'yes', sweetheart. We'll have such fun together."

"I'm thankful," I say. "Really. But..." I let my voice trail off because even I'm not certain why I'm not jumping at this chance. I have my work at the Society, of course. I don't really want to get behind in school, although Gramps is right: it's not much of a problem.

Does my reluctance have something to do with Beckett's hand entwined with mine?

Gramps and Gram's faces both show disappointment. Guilt washes over me. How can I think of dumping them, so to speak, over a guy I didn't even know this time last year?

But before I can say that, of course, I'll be happy to go, Gramps says, "We understand this is a lot to spring on you. We'll give you a few days to think about it, won't we, Marge?"

Gram nods. "Of course. Take all the time you want, sweetheart. We don't have to leave for another month or so."

I nod. Smile. Thank them again.

We're all done our hot drinks and desserts. Beckett hasn't said much - maybe he's feeling uncomfortable about having to witness all our family drama.

And there's certainly a lot of it.

Gramps and Gram stand. "Thank you for turning seventeen, Ava," Gramps says.

"And inviting us to celebrate!" Gram winks at me. "But seniors and late nights don't mix well, so we're going to say goodbye."

She and Gramps both give me a final hug and kiss and then they're grabbing their coats and walking out the door. I raise a hand in farewell, but I don't think they see it. I stand in the hall, shoulders slumped and feeling the let-down that comes after a whole lot of fun.

Only, I didn't have any fun.

I return to the dining room to find that Mom has broken out her after-dinner wine. Gram thinks that she drinks way too much and Mom hates arguing with her parents so she tries not to drink at all when they're around.

Anyway, Mom's ignoring Beckett which is totally rude so I invite him into the living room while the staff clears the table. We sit together on one of the many couches scattered around the room. This one's my favorite though. Rose pink and plush.

"Do you think you'll go?" he says.

I sigh. "I don't know. Probably. What do you think?"

He shrugs.