Chapter 2

Some sunlight shone through the window and onto Ahren's face, causing his eyes to open. The room was quiet, the only sound being the muffled chatter of bird's on a tree just outside the house. Sitting up slowly, he looked around him, appreciating the brightness of the room in the natural light, a definite improvement from where he used to sleep. He had previously been sleeping in a small room with broken blinds which he wasn't allowed to touch, so he was always sat in the dark in the morning. It was usually a lot louder when he woke, too. If he didn't wake up before his Aunt's alarm went off at six, he'd be shaken and shouted at for being lazy. Even if he did wake up beforehand, he'd still be a burden one way or another and be shouted at for it. It was rare he slept more than an hour or so at night before anyway because of his Aunt's noisy boyfriends and how loud she had her television, so his night at Caderyne's house was a treat.

Ahren swung his legs around until they were on the floor, and stood up to look for Caderyne. He quietly sauntered downstairs, where the man was sat at the table writing. 

"Ah, good morning, Ahren," He said after catching a glimpse of the boy from the corner of his eye. "I've ordered you some new clothes and they should arrive later. I would've given you some of mine to wear but...I don't think they'd be very useful...since you're quite small."  He stood up, walking towards a bookshelf and removing a plastic bag that had been placed on it before turning and handing it to Ahren. It had a toothbrush, toothpaste, some two-in-one shampoo and conditioner, a comb, sanitary products,  soap and underwear. 

"I never know whether the possessed people I encounter are going to be biologically male or female. That's why there's a mix," He said as Ahren took the bag. "Go get a shower and such, and then come back down here, okay? Give me a shout if you need anything." 

"Why are you helping me?" Ahren asked just as Caderyne was about to turn away. "Why...how do you know so much about what could've happened to me? Why are you so prepared?" His questions didn't seem to phase Caderyne, and his expression didn't shift at all. 

"You know how I said there might be a way to change your appearance back?" Ahren nodded. "The people who released the demons into the world have the medicine to get rid of the par the demon that possessed you left behind, but don't want to use it. Your appearance isn't the only thing to have changed, either. Your sight, hearing, agility and speed have all improved, and I need you to help me get the medicine and find a way to stop demons being released."

"How do you even know about this?" Ahren asked desperately. 

"My brother got possessed when our parents passed away, and even though he managed to bring himself back, these people- their company- killed him anyway. They were going to kill me too since I was a witness, but I said I wanted to join them. I was sixteen at the time, so I was able to start training with them after I had recovered from the cuts my brother had given me.

"It's not a program you can just join, you're either selected from other programs that are known to the public, or you've witnessed a possession and lived. If you've seen someone get possessed, it's either join their program or die, basically." Caderyne let out a small laugh, before shaking his head in disgust. 

"Leaving the program wasn't an easy process- I had to sign lots of documents, wear a tracker and a microphone for a year, but I was finally out when I turned twenty-two. I moved to this house, which is- I think- two cities away from where I was based. I learnt a lot about their company, I saw some horrible things, I did some horrible things...but since then, I've been working out a way to stop possessions from happening, and trying to save as many people as possible.

"I intercepted the company's radio, so if any possessions happen in driving distance I can go and help the person out, and maybe they'll be able to help me."