vii

The Tale of a Broken Heart: Doña Jerónima and the Cave of Guadalupe

"Gentlemen of Manila, beware, for your poor unfortunate soul may be the next victim of this vengeful heart."

During the Spanish olden times, there was a gentleman who swore to give his hand in marriage to a maiden of his village. The woman, faithful that she is, waited for him years after years. As she wasted her youth for the sake of loyalty to the one she loved, she eventually became a spinster.

One day, news spread throughout the region, originating from Intramuros down to its nearby arrabales; the See of Manila has a new Archbishop.

To the dismay of the maiden, the new appointed Archbishop, was apparently her bethroted; it would seem that the Archbishop had already forgotten of his oath. With total conviction, she travelled all the way to Intramuros, disguising herself as a man. She came by the Cape and presented herself to His Most Illustrious Person of the islands, demanding that the archbishop fulfill his promise of marriage.

Given that her request was impossible, the Archbishop instead gave orders to build a cave as a form of consolation for her, which the people passing by had seen, was decorated and draped with tangled vines at its entrance. In this cave where the poor Doña Jerónima lived in solitude, wallowing in self-pity and heartbreak. She eventually died, and was even buried there.

Tradition foretells that Doña Jerónima grew so large in size that she had to go sideways every time she enters her cave. Nevertheless, regardless of her stature, she grew fame as a charmer which came from her custom of throwing all of her silver plates to the river, which she used to serve lavish banquets in her cave.

It is said that these feasts were to lure men into her abode, to which actually came many a gentleman. Doña Jerónima uses a net stretched under water to catch the pieces which were thus washed by river waters. Regarding the men she lured, nobody knows. Some say the cave has an endless maze in it, while some say that the men were trapped in a mansion deep down the cavern. Others say that Doña Jerónima ate the men out of anger, that is why she grew out of proportion.

Progress and development soon manifested, but her cave remained in pristine condition, due to fears of the people that she might retaliate. Before, the waters of Pasig almost kissed the mouth of her cave, but as centuries have passed, the waters had receded from it, as the memory of Doña Jerónima's pain faded among the people.

Doña Jerónima's cave can still be found in a small barangay of Pineda, near the C5 bridge which connects Pasig and Makati, perpetually enchanting and intriguing the few who are knowledgeable of the woman's story.

For the gentlemen out there, be careful when you're passing down the river, for your heart maybe the next target of this resentful soul.