Chapter 3

~Chapter 3~

The cool evening air gnawed at my exposed skin as we walked and I silently wished that I had borrowed one of Winter's coats. "Where to?" I asked Axel, my body starting to get used to the temperature.

"Well, I just checked and the movie starts in a little under half an hour. Do you think we can make it?"

Winter and Liam didn't live that close to the centre of the city because they wanted a bigger place but they weren't so far out that it took ages to get around. "There's definitely no point in calling for a taxi, getting one at this time is a nightmare. Add that to traffic time and we'll never make it but I think we can get there if we walk," I told him, starting our journey in the direction of the cinema.

Axel fell into step next to me as we made our way down the busy New York streets, standing close enough for our arms to occasionally brush past each other as we walked.

There was a comfortable silence between us but I couldn't help myself from asking him a few questions after a few minutes of quiet. "Axel," I started and he hummed in recognition. "How did you meet Liam?"

He chuckled lightly, clearly enjoying a fond memory. "On a family trip to Cornwall when I was sixteen. I'd been learning how to surf when a giant wave came in and I lost control of my board. I accidentally crashed into someone, wiping us both out. Turns out it was Liam who was on holiday there with his family too. After we got back to the shore we hung out for a bit and just clicked. We became instant friends and have kept in contact ever since," he smiled lightly. "How did you meet Winter and Maddison?"

"Winter and I have been friends since childhood 'cause our mums know each other. We were never super close because we lived in different continents but when I moved here we grew closer. As for Maddie, I met her at one of my first shoots since becoming an adult.

"My mum is a fashion designer so I'd modelled for her a lot as a child but this was right after I left and I was actually pretty scared and alone. Something about Maddie seemed to put me at ease. She made the whole experience way better and after that day we became fast friends," I told him as we turned a sharp corner onto a quieter side street.

He smiled at me, our arms brushing past each other as we reached another traffic light. "That's nice. It's always hard to tell who your real friends are in this industry. Everyone always wants something."

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah. That's why I'm glad I've got Maddie and Winter. I know they're my friends for real. And I'm guessing it's the same for you and Liam. Any other friends you're really close with?"

He grinned just as the green man lit up and we crossed the road. "Yeah, a couple mates back in London but not many. It's crazy how you can have so many 'friends' yet have almost none at the same time," he mused.

That statement was painfully accurate and I almost grimaced when he said it but held back. It was nice to know that I wasn't alone and that he understood this lifestyle, most just didn't seem to realise. They thought it was an easy life and job but they were so very wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what I did and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'd be forever grateful for how lucky I was but sometimes you just wanted a bit of peace and security.

Our conversation continued but regarding much lighter topics as we carried on walking, reaching the cinema with a few minutes to spare. Since we didn't have much time, we agreed that I'd get the snacks and Axel the tickets to save time. "Sweet or salty popcorn?" I asked, praying that he made the right choice.  This was going to decide if our friendship worked out.

"Sweet," he said, not missing a beat and I grinned.

"Smart move, Knight. I think we might just make good friends."