the memorial

"Do not pity the dead

"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

The immediate rush of cold air helped calm her hammering heart a little. Not by much, but enough that it no longer felt like it was going to pound right out of her chest.

It was silly of her to storm out like that. Neither Vanya nor Five could be blamed for talking so casually about Ben, his death had been so long ago, after all and for most of them, while losing a brother had certainly been difficult, it hadn't effected them the same. They hadn't felt their heart almost tearing in two, hadn't experienced the sudden, crushing ache that came with feeling like your heart had been ripped straight from your chest, leaving only a gaping, empty space behind.

But still, a darker part of her mind whispered without her consent, a tad spiteful in tone, couldn't they have had a little common sense to not bring up his death so bluntly around her? To act so callously?

She shook her head, trying to keep those kinds of thoughts from overwhelming her. Thea knew better than nobody that getting stuck inside of your own spiralling thoughts was dangerous. However, she couldn't quite grasp on that same kind of control over herself when she looked up to see the granite memorial standing alone in the garden.

Standing high on its platform and with a carved lifelessness that cut deeper than she cared for, the statue of her heartbreak loomed above her. Tears welled up in her eyes once more and this time she didn't bother wiping them away. Nobody could see her out here. The two of them were alone.

No, that wasn't quite right. She looked up at the cold, empty eyes that stared out at the academy and thought to herself that she truly was alone right now. Just Thea Hargreeves alone with her thoughts and tears.

As though sensing the mood it even began to rain. The drops fell lightly at first but soon enough, as she slowly made her way towards the statue and sat upon the base, it began to pour with more fervour. She brought up her legs and leant her arms on her knees, hiding her face. Just a little, she leant against the statue's legs to feel the harsh, cold press of granite against her skin.

The plaque set at the centre of the base caught her attention and, remaining as tightly bound as though to take up as little space as possible, she ran her fingers across the carved words.

Ben Hargreeves.

May the darkness within you find peace in the light.

Thea hated it with all her being. Whoever had written the plaque clearly knew nothing about him. Ben had no darkness within him, not ever. Even the ability, seen as so monstrous and terrifying hadn't the power to imbue him with any semblance of darkness. He was the kindest and most loving person she had ever met and he had made it only too easy for Thea to fall in love with him. Loved him so much in fact, that if she hadn't had Klaus to take into consideration she would have happily died in his place, so that he could live again. It was only what he deserved. It wasn't fair.