Chapter Five

Eliza

As we walked up to a dirt path that Jack said would eventually lead to his family's cabin when I heard something rustling in the bushes.

"That's just my brother. He was hunting when I left for town earlier this morning," he said calmly. "Just stay quiet when he spots us. I don't want you to get in his way."

"Is he a jerk?"

"Something like that," he answered simply. "Just don't say anything, Eliza."

All I do is a nod. We continue up the drive and we almost make it to the cabin's porch steps. I could hear his brother yelling at Will, at me, at us. "You stupid son a bitch! Why in hell have you brought a girl here? You gotta be insane and stupid to bring her here, Jack."

Jack is about to turn and face his brother, but I turn around quicker than he and face his brother. "Hey you, butthead! Yeah, you! What's your problem?!"

His brother galloped the mule he was riding right up to the hitching post and he tied him up. I could smell the freshly killed deer on the back of the mule.

Jack's brother came face to face with me. "I have no problem with my brother but it seems that I have a problem with you. Who are you anyway, missy? You must be rich by the way you're dressing, kid."

"I'm-" Jack covers my mouth up with his hand. I try to spit out my name but it turned into nothing with my mouth covered up.

"That's none of your goddamn business, Andy. That is none of your goddamn business!" Jack bellowed harshly to his brother.

I hear the screen door opening and I find their parents coming out to see what all the commotion was about. They were younger looking than I thought they would be.

Their mother was about five feet tall with hip length, curly, chocolate brown hair. She was a handsome woman. There wasn't a sign of wrinkles and aging in her at all. She wore a blue floral calico dress that fit her wonderfully. Their father was about six feet tall with blond hair with a reddish tint. He was a good looking guy. It's no wonder he's the one that passed Jack and Andy their good looks. They had their mother in them, too, but they had more of their dad in them.

"Jack, dear, who is this?" their mother asked harshly. "You know you're not supposed to bring people home, especially girls."

"Yeah, son. Like your brother said, you're a fool for bringing her here. She doesn't know anything does she?" asked their father.

"Just hold on a minute. Let me explain," William said pleadingly. "She was called names and spat on by the kids in town. I saved her and had her run into the woods for safety. I followed her. We are friends. You can trust her," he explained quickly.

°°°

Jack

Eliza was in the other room while I was stuck behind closed doors with my family. They were angry that I brought her along. I knew I shouldn't have brought her, but I felt like I needed to bring her. There was something about her that I just couldn't put away. She was something.

"William," my father sharply said as he said my first name. "This is a stupid idea. Whatever you're thinking, whatever you're feeling for this girl, get it out of your head. She can never marry you, son. She's engaged to a gentleman named Leroy Williamson. They are going to get married at the end of the Summer, you hear?"

I ignored him. "I don't know what you're talking about, sir. I don't understand."

He exploded with a universe full of anger. "That's bullshit, son. I see the way you look at her, the longing in your eyes. It's never going to work out for the two of you."

"It is really obvious, man. It's not that hard to see," Andy pointed out, a smile spreading a mile wide across his face. "You love her, don't you?"

My face turns to beat red. "You really love trying to rub it in, don't you Andy? And no, I don't love her."

"You were holding her hand, Jack She was smiling like she just won the lottery. You were, too," my mother said. "Just admit it or she will have to leave."

"Why?" I pushed myself off from where I leaning against on the kitchen counter. "What's the point when you already know the answer?"

I wanted to punch Andy when he commented teasingly, "So you do love her, Jack?"

I don't hesitate with my response. "Maybe. Maybe I do, Andy, but at least I'm not dreaming and crying at night about my wife that left me with my children!"

He looked at me. Andy was hurt, and I could see that he wished he could kill me. "Don't you talk about them! They were your family, too!" Tears filled his eyes. I felt bad for saying what I did, but I can't take it back now.