| Chapter 4 |

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Come, let's get some food," T'Challa's voice broke the tension and snapped Natasha and Bucky out of their thoughts, "I'm sure you all have a lot of catching up to do."

Bucky was reluctant to takes his eyes away from Natalia. Just as beautiful as he remembered, if not more, though you could tell, in her eyes, that the years of fighting and running were beginning to take their toll. Her short blond hair had taken him off guard, it reminded him of another from the Red Room though he couldn't remember the name. He finally turned his attention to Steve as his old friend slapped his shoulder. "Come on Buck, I'm starving." Steve said with a smile.

T'Challa led the five of them back up the path that led to the city. Natasha made sure to stay in the back of the group. Her mind was still racing from the few minutes before. It seemed to be luck that Steve didn't read too much into her and Jame's prolonged gaze but she still felt uneasy. After a few moments, Natasha silently pulled on Shuri's arm, slowing their pace until the men were a good distance ahead of them. A few of the Dora Milaje shot her a look of suspicion but the nod of Shuri's head seem to set them as ease as they continued up the hill. Natasha's tone was low and careful, "Look, Shuri I know—"

Shuri put up a hand to stop her, "Your secret is safe with my brother and I," She said, "Whatever your reasons are for keeping your past relations with Barnes to yourself are your own, I need no explanation."

Taken aback for just a moment, Natasha gave her a small smile, "Thank you." Only knowing her for the short time they've been in Wakanda, Natasha found herself becoming fond of Shuri and the kindest she had already shown to her. The ladies started back up the hill again. Natasha kept her eyes forward but could tell Shuri was looking at her, like she was trying to solve a puzzle.

"You know," Shuri began in a light hearted tone, "I am rooting for you two," Natasha couldn't help but roll her eyes as she smiled. "I know the whole situation is complicated but you mean a great deal to him, Agent Romanoff."

Natasha didn't respond, she didn't know what to say. As they continued to walk, the full reality of the situation had smacked her in the face. To pursue any sort of relationship with James would mean having to hid it from Steve or finally tell him she had hidden the truth about his best friend from him for years. She could only see a poor outcome from either option. What would ever happen if her and Steve were allowed to go back home? What if the government discovered James was in Wakanda? Would Tony interfere? As her thoughts deepened, all she could see was the pain and heartbreak ahead. She let her heart win the first time around and that selfishness caused James an unbearable amount of misery. It was a mistake she couldn't allow herself to make again. She felt tears starting to form and quickly turned her head away from Shuri as she wiped them away.

By the time Natasha and Shuri made it up to the palace, the men were already seated at the table. They were dining on a large balcony, just the five of them, surrounded by large greenery, blue skies, and the faint sounds of a bustling city beneath them. There was a sense of paradise in it all. Emotionally torn, Natasha couldn't think of a better yet worse place the be. Steve eyed her suspiciously as she took her seat next to him with Bucky on his other side. She was thankful for the separation, not having to fight the urge to look at James whenever she could. "What were you and Shuri talking about?" Steve asked.