|| Virtuoso ||

The room was filled with the sound of Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi being played on a piano. The piece flowed beautifully throughout the room and out into the grand hallways of the Ishikawa Mansion. The piece had lured some of the maids and the butler to the door that allowed the notes to flow.

The maids stared in awe as the butler closed his eyes to listen more closely. This was the first time the Ishikawa heir had played a piece so beautiful, the listeners had immediately questioned why he had changed. They, however, were happy for their master.

Upon feeling a small buzz in the pocket of his tailored coat, the butler pulled out the phone that the Ishikawa Family had graciously allowed him to have.

It was a message.

There is a visitor waiting at the main entrance. —M

The butler snapped his phone shut and pulled himself away from the door, saddened that he had to walk away from the room that birthed such a soothing piece.

Takashi Morinozuka followed the Ishikawa butler down a bright hallway that was filled with the summer light. When he had first entered the grand mansion, he had heard a piano being played. Takashi knew that the whole family were preeminent pianists, so he didn't know who exactly was playing but he could take a guess.

Once the two stopped next to the door, Takashi looked in to see who was playing the piece.

It was Ren Ishikawa. The person that Takashi grew more fond of as the days passed.

As the piece slowly died, Takashi slipped into the room and the butler went his own way, with great difficulty as he had to drag the maids with him.

Ren sighed peacefully as he pulled his fingers away from the keys.

"That was beautiful," Takashi murmured in quiet amazement. Ren let out a soft 'hmm?' as he turned to face Takashi.

Ren's eyes widened when he locked eyes with Takashi, as did his smile. Ren stood and made his way over to the taller male.

The two of them were childhood friends and the bond between the two was still strong. If a stranger had looked at the two, they would have guessed that Takashi was older. It was actually the other way around, with Ren being older than Takashi by several months.

"Taka-chan! It's great to see you again! I believe the last time we seen each other was at the end of the last semester," Ren hummed happily as he smiled up at the other boy. Takashi nodded, "yeah."

"So was there something you needed? I'll be happy to oblige," Ren asked as was given a shake of the head.

"Just visiting."

Ren hummed quietly for a second and then perked up. "I can finally play the Third Movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata without looking at the sheet music!" The smaller teen beamed.

Takashi smiled and ruffled Ren's hair, "good job."

Just being able to play the third movement was a feat in its own. Takashi marveled at how Ren could play such a piece and think that it was mere child's play. But this was Ren. Ren could play any piece if so he wished.

"I also created a new piece. Would you like to hear it?"

Without hesitation, Takashi nodded and gave a small grunt of approval. Ren's proud smile soon became a shy one as he turned and went to sit back down on the bench.

For a moment, Takashi could have sworn that he seen some sort of emotion or more swirling in Ren's eyes as he turned away. What could it have been? Insecurity? Hope?

Takashi was going to take a seat on a chair nearby, but the older teen stopped him. Ren patted the spot next to him, "you can sit right here if you'd like."

Takashi's lip twitched upwards into a small, almost invisible smile as he made his way over and sat down next to his friend.

Ren placed his nimble fingers on the keys and hesitated for a second, as if he were starting to have second thoughts. He shook his head and smiled a small smile before starting to play.

It started out soft and slow. Fragile even. As if a single touch would break it into millions of little pieces. As it progressed, however, it sped up. It reminded Takashi of a caged bird that finally found the key to its freedom.

Once the piece ended, Takashi realized that his eyes were closed. He didn't recall ever closing them.

As he opened his eyes, he glanced over at Ren, who fidgeted with his fingers.

Takashi smiled, "it was beautiful."

Ren looked up at him in shock. He sat like that for several seconds before he leaned forward and pressed his lips to the corner of Takashi's mouth. Just as quickly did such, he pulled back twice as fast.

"I-I'm so sorry! I don't know what came over me! You probably ha—"

Takashi silence him with a gentle kiss of his own, this one directed towards Ren temple. "Who said I didn't like it?" Takashi murmured softly.

Takashi heard a sharp intake of breath. He pulled himself away to look at the fragile looking teenager.

Eyes full of hope stared at the tall male before he launched himself at him. Takashi grunted in surprise at the action, but welcomed it graciously.

He finally had the one he love in his arms.

The two stayed like that for a little while, they cherished the fact that they accepted each other.

Takashi thought it was rather sad that it was hard to openly love someone, especially if it wasn't deemed 'normal'. Why couldn't a person love who they wished to love without the fear of someone else reacting so harshly towards them? Love was love, why was it so difficult to accept that?

Ren tilted his head up to look at Takashi, who in return looked down in confusion. Ren smiled sheepishly before he pushed himself upwards and connected their lips in a gentle kiss.

Takashi smiled and happily returned it.

He was with the one he loved and he never wanted to leave.

They were a pair that was thought to be unlikely.

The strong National Kendo Champion and the preeminent virtuoso pianist.