Chapter 1: The Day After Valentine's Day.

"I have an idea for a new line of T-shirts." Eddy stretched his arms above his head and flopped back against the sofa. Brett and Eddy were in their recording studio which combined as practice room, and Twoset's office. In other words, they were sitting in a nice, quiet room at Eddy's mum's.

"Oh, yeah? And what's that?" Brett replied.

Eddy glanced at his friend. Brett had one highbrow raised and a suspicious expression in his eyes. He'd been rather tense since they'd released the Valentine video the day before. Eddy had caught him checking the comments below the vid on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook. And again, maybe once an hour. Which he never did normally.

"'There's More To Life Than A THICCC Vibrato, Bro'. All in wriggly letters."

"Whaat? No fucking way," Brett said.

"No fucking way, as in, there's nothing more to life than a thick vibrato? Because that could make a good T-shirt slogan too. 'There's NOTHING more to LiFE Than A ThIcCC ViBraTo.' With a mix of lower and upper cases, in wriggly letters or..." 

"No fucking way, as in no fucking way!" Brett shouted.

"Uhuu... someone's a little bit agitated? Mm? Brettybrett?" Eddy replied.

"What the fuck, don't you start calling me that now."

"Oh, so you did read the fanfic after all," Eddy taunted.

"Didn't!" Brett retorted. "And I'm still not convinced it was a good idea to publish that vid. Let's hope we don't come to regret it."

"You're a BAD boi, Brettybrett," Eddy laughed. "Oh, come on, it was good fun. You did enjoy it. You laughed too. You tried hard not to smile. I could tell."

"I felt weird coming to your mum's today. Not sure I want to bump into her and your sister, in case they've seen it."

"Aoww... you're embarrassed." Eddy repressed a giggle. He put a hand on his friend's shoulder and stroked him gently.

"What the fuck, bro." Brett slid further away on the sofa, and shrugged off Eddy's hand.

"My sister did enjoy it."

"She saw it?" Brett asked. 

He sounded alarmed but Eddy chose to ignore it. "Belle!" Eddy shouted. "Belle! Are you home? Can you come over for a sec, please."

A young woman with long black hair pushed the door open. "What do you want, guys?"

"Belle, did you like the Valentine video?" Eddy asked

Belle couldn't reply. She tilted her head back and just laughed, leaning against the doorframe. "It was sooo cringy," she managed to say at last. 

"See?! Bad idea," Brett said.

"Naah. Loved it," Belle replied. "It was brave of you. Didn't you like it, Senpai? I read most of the fic too. Uhuuu. It wasn't all cheese. Hot stuff, guys, hot stuff."

Eddy looked at Brett. At the word "senpai", he'd blushed and now he was red to the root of his hair. Eddy thought he must have read it to the end. Or most of it. Brett bent down, grabbed a book that was lying on the floor and threw it in Belle's direction. She closed the door just on time, and the book bounced off it. "Notice me Senpai!" She shrieked through the closed door. They could hear her laughter receding as she walked away.

"That was a bit rough, bro," Eddy said.

"What was?" Brett asked.

"Throwing a book at my sis, like that."

Brett didn't reply. He was checking his phone. Eddy sighed. Brett could be very moody at times. Some strange irritation would get hold of him, and he'd behave almost out of control. For instance, sometime he'd whack him for no reason at all. 

Such as a moment earlier, when Eddy was about to press "Play" on his laptop because he didn't want Brett to do it. He could tell Brett was tense, and that's when he would start hitting his laptop, even his violin. Fine if it's his laptop, his violin, although Eddy didn't understand anyone could be so rough with such precious objects. But at least, Eddy would protect his precious laptop from Brett's ill-treatments. So Eddy rushed to press "Play", his hand hovering over the keyboard, and Brett instead whacked his hand so hard, Eddy shouted.

He looked down at this wrist. It was still a bit red where Brett had hit him. He'd apologised of course, saying he'd tried to hit "Play", not his hand. But Eddy was not so sure.

"I'm going home," Brett got up.

"What? I thought we'd agreed tonight we'd..."

But Brett was already packing his violin. "I'll go home and practice."

"You could practice here. I'll go in the next room," Eddy said.

"No. I'll practice at home."

"Well, if you still want to go out tonight, call me, all right?" Eddy replied. He watched Brett walk out of the room, and close the door behind him without even a glance back. 

Eddy sighed. He picked up his laptop from the sofa and opened it. He clicked on a tab. It was the last chapter of the Valentine fanfic. He wanted to check the pics at the end again. There were screenshots of him and Brett. Moments seized in the flow of the videos. Moments frozen in time he would never have noticed himself. Expressions caught on Brett's face. Brett looking at him playing. Brett looking at him talking. Brett looking at him full stop. The sweetness in his eyes. Was it possible that Brett...

Eddy couldn't finish his thought. He tried to take a different tack. Was it possible that he didn't really know his best friend? Especially if your best friend is called Brett Yang. Can anyone know Brett Yang? He was a bit... er, complicated. That was the kind way of putting it. Neurotic, erratic, elusive, that was the unkind way. But he was wonderful too, wild, daring, inspiring. The best friend any guy could hope to have. And he was lovely with children. Not just inspiring them, but connecting with them at a basic human level. They trusted him. He'd seen him at work. He'd seen the connection. The generosity. Brett wanted kids of his own, that much was clear. 

Something was melting in Eddy's chest. The guy was so lovely. He hoped he wasn't too upset. Eddy couldn't bear it if he was. Maybe Brett would call him in a little while, and they'd go out as planned, and Eddy would be able to check his friend was okay, and if he wasn't, Eddy would find a way to make him feel better.

He looked at the pics again on his laptop. Looked at his best friend's face, his best friend smiling at him. And there was... well, it was... love, wasn't it? His eyes began to fill up. The screen went dark, and instead of his friend, Eddy was suddenly staring at his own reflection. What were the feelings inside him? What did his heart have to say about all this? Eddy closed the laptop. He didn't know. 

(Right-O Shpooky, it's over to you. Plenty of potential conflicts there. We shouldn't be afraid of conflicts. Stuff of life and all that. We're all conflicted human beings. Makes life and love interesting.)

Check at 12:34  + it's quite a fun vid anyway