CHAPTER 8

I'm surprised to see my dad cooking eggs in the kitchen when I make my way downstairs just before eight. By now, he's usually at work. "What are you still doing here?" I ask, giving him a sideways glare. Showing off, he flips the fried egg into the air and catches it on its other side in the pan. "Parent teacher conferences for Jonah. Took the day off."

"You? Took a day off work?" I joke as I pull a peanut butter granola bar out of the pantry.

"I've been known to do stranger things."

I can't help but chuckle. "That's for sure. Is he getting expelled or something?" He gives me his best look of disapproval as he wriggles the egg from the pan onto his English muffin.

"Sleep good?" he asks before taking a bite of his breakfast sandwich.

Knowing that question is probably a reference to dreamwalking, I shrug and tear open the granola bar. "Not really." There's nowhere near enough time to tell him about my terrifying encounter with the dark walker last night.

He furrows his brow. "What's wrong?"

The grandfather clock in the living room chimes, telling me that it's time to leave for school. Nothing is going to change between now and this evening. There's no harm in waiting. "It's a long story. I need to talk to you tonight."

"You sure it can wait?"

"It has to." I slide my jacket on and throw my bag over my shoulder before grabbing a bottle of juice from the fridge. "Zoë's waiting for me."

He smiles and nods, sending me on my way with a mouthful. "Have a good day, kiddo." Little bits of egg fall out of his mouth and onto his sweatshirt. I cringe in second hand embarrassment and laugh on my way out the door.

"Oh jeez," I hear him mumble as he realizes what a mess he's become.

Zoë is already in her car with the engine running when I step outside. With a beaming smile, she finishes a text and stuffs her phone into her purse as I climb in. "It's already hot in here. How long have you been waiting?"

"I got up too early and couldn't fall back asleep so I just went with it."

"I don't even remember you leaving the dreamwalk earlier than I did."

She chuckles awkwardly. "Weird how it works."

As she drives down our quiet suburban street in our incredibly middle class neighborhood, an exceedingly out of place glossy black Aston Martin sedan catches my eye. Not only is it the only car on the street not covered in a thick layer of morning frost, but it's also the only one with a hefty six figure price tag.

"Nice car." Zoë drools as we pass it. Something about it doesn't sit right with me. I've never seen a car like that around here. As I watch it get smaller in the side view mirror, a chill rushes through me. With all the lingering danger in my recent dreamwalks, my trust level has plummeted.

"I'm so not looking forward to going back to school today. That vacation ruined me."

Temporarily releasing my worries, I settle into the seat and focus on what's happening inside the car.  "I'm surprised you came home at all."

"Had you been there, I would've never left."

"You think our parents would let us go to college in Hawaii?"

"You're dreaming!" she teases.

I plug in my phone and search my music for a song that fits my need to begin the day in an upbeat mood. "I'm feeling dancey this morning. How about you?"

Shegives me a look indicating that was a stupid question. "I'm always feeling dancey."

* * *