Enemy Who Was a Friend

Steven's P.O.V

I'm standing, but from what I can remember, I was most certainly lying on the ground a second ago. But no, here I am standing in an infinite realm of darkness and bad feelings. I'd call this a nightmare, but I just fell asleep in one. I clench the sides of my head in frustration and begin pacing back and forth. How did Connie get inside? What is she gonna do with me? Will the Gems find me? Connie better not hurt them! Because, if she does, I'll make sure both her mother and father won't recognize her when I'm through.

I let go of my head and shake with anger. Connie just had to ruin my wedding day, didn't she? Why did I not see this coming? Being a good leader means anticipating when bad things will strike and how to deal with said bad things. You see, this is why I'd still prefer Garnet to lead the team, Future Vision and all.

"It's not your fault, my sweet boy. Not every person is born to be perfect" A soft voice rings out from behind me. 

At this rate, I'm already through with people sneaking up behind me when my back is turned, so I spin around and summon my shield to defend myself. Who I find is the last person I'd expect and last person I'd like to see at the moment.

"Hello, Mom" I say, looking right at Rose Quartz, my voice devoid of any real happiness. 

She stands almost right in front of me, adorned in her usual white flowery dress. When Rose hears my voice and the words from me, her smile drops and she clasps her hands together in front of her. Glad that I didn't have to see that smile any longer. It's the one of a liar, a murderer, and a coward.

"What is wrong, my baby boy?" Rose asks with what sounds like genuine concern, "What's the matter?".

I scoff and laugh, surprising her.

"What's wrong, huh? Hmm, let's see if I can run back it. I finally found the love that I always wanted in my life, but then the crazy stalker girl from my childhood invades my wedding, drugs my soda, and now I have to stand here and look at you!" I growl, arching my eyebrows at Rose.

A tear forms in her left eye, but I don't give it much thought.

"Why must you be so harsh with me, Steven? I'm your mother and I love you with all my Gem!" Rose says, opening her arms for a hug while tears come running out of both her eyes now.

She comes forward for the hug, but I step back and let her tumble to the ground, waiting for her to look up so I can reveal what I know about her.

"You don't even know me!" I snap at her, "Why would I love you back after everything you've done? You lied to the Diamonds and ran away from the only family you ever had, just because you thought that they couldn't change. You created lies about yourself and tricked loyal gems into following you and your rebellion! You shattered thousands of gems, Mom! People who were only fighting for what they believed was right. You dared to smile, laugh, and play when hundreds upon hundreds of deaths were on your hands! You abandon Dad, Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst, who were the closest you could ever get to a second family! I nearly died trying to clean up your mess!"

Rose breaks down into tears and I can't say that I feel any sympathy whatsoever for her. It's truth, after all and it's just plain and simple. Nothing more to be said about it. Rose is just sitting there crying now and it's quite frankly embarrassing, so I turn around so that my back faces her and look ahead into the darkness beyond.