chapter seven ↴ not a mirage

Kenzie had heard of the fire that had happened at the clinic, but didn't think much of it until Five showed up at her window injured but wanting to go to the library.

she had patched him up as best as she could, then got in a hoodie and vans. "wow, I'm a fashion icon." she said as they teleported to the library.

Five laughed. "sure you are, sweetheart." "I am!" Kenzie insisted, watching as he pulled out a bottle of alcohol and placed Delores down.

"omg! it's my main bitch Delores! hey girl, how you doing? mhm girl, same. does Five ever get you some new clothes?! like seriously, come on Five, step up your game sweetie."

Five watched amusedly with a hint of adoration as she blabbered on to Delores about what kind of shirt she could wear, and took a swig of the alcohol.

"you know, Pixie, you know my whole life story, but I don't know much about yours." Five prompted, sitting down.

Kenzie sat down next to him and smiled wistfully. "well, Fivey, my mom left my dad after my sister Angelica was born, and I haven't seen her since. my dad is currently in Canada with his new wife, Maria, and my little sister passed away a few years ago. she and my dad had cancer, and they both thought the violin was beautiful, so I thought that if I learned it, maybe it'd cure them. apparently it worked on my dad and not so much my sister."

she sighed sadly and leaned her head back, crossing her legs and getting comfortable next to Five.

"she was so sweet, Five. so hopeful."

it was only until he heard her sniffle he realised she was tearing up. setting the alcohol bottle down, Five wrapped his arms around her and she sniffed again.

"I just miss her so fucking much, Five." Kenzie said, closing her eyes.

Five watched slowly as she feel asleep in the darkened library, a single tear carving through porcelain, a mind made of broken hopes and lost dreams finding its way to the land of Morpheus.

this was truly Mackenzie May.

not some mirage of her who dressed in plaid and swore through glossy lips. not the girl who giggled with Klaus through chipped nails, and fluttered eyelashes to show her pink eyeshadow.

because in reality, Mackenzie May was truly just a broken girl who hid behind a wall of sarcastic comments and perfumes of jasmine.

Five watched as the true Mackenzie May fell asleep, her soul calling desperately for her sister.

and Five could swear her sister's soul called back.