A Poem By Dhiraar ibn Al Azwar Radhiyallahu Anh

The Arab's were known for their eloquence in speech and their language. From among the poets, Dhiraar ibn Al Azwar Radhiyallahu Anh was one of the youngest and most eloquent. This is a poem that he wrote to his sister, Khawlah bint al Azwar Radhiyallahu Anha while he was taken captive by the Romans. It was addressed to his sister and his mother.

Oh you two! In Allah's name convey my salaam to my family in Makkah and Al-Hijr,

You will receive a thousand blessings as long as you live.

What you do will not be wasted by Allah, my pain is already lightened. [He was stabbed 114 times]

Through your act, I have received relief, in that way goodness amongst people goes.

I am not dying but I have left an old lady in grief,

She is weak and can't bear life's afflictions,

Which destroyed wheat leaving only wormwood, brittle plants, and flowers.

I was her support and greatly honoured her even when poverty struck me.

I would feed her with what I hunted-rabbits, jerboa, deer, baby deer and others.

I protect her in all conditions, good or bad.

I desire nothing besides Allah and I wage Jihaad against armies.

I please the best of creation, Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam, in order to be successful on The Day of Judgement.

He who fears Judgement Day must please Allah and fight against the worshippers of the cross, the Sons of Disbelief,

Thus I fought and speared every Disbeliever on the day of Battle.

You say that this separation has passed its time,

I have no patience for it,

Oh Brother! Is there no one to unite us?

When a man leaves his homeland, he either returns or is destroyed.

Do they not inform her about her brother? [Khawlah]

He sends greetings and dies imprisoned by the Disbelievers.

Wounded in defending Islaam, Oh doves deliver this letter.

Take my message o the army and chiefs of Islaam.

Say that Dhiraar is shackled, away from his homeland and in an inhospitable place.

Oh dove! Listen to the words of this stranger- he is in the humiliation of captivity.

If my loved ones ask about me, tell them that my tears are like rain shed by clouds.

If my sister asks about me, tell her that I have been stabbed by the edges of sharp cutting swords.

Oh doves of Najd! My everything is at home! Tell them that Dhiraar remains sighing.

Tell them that he is a prisoner whose side and chest are in pain.

He is only 18 years old.

On his cheeks are tears due to loss of home and unhealable wounds.

He went for Jihaad but the lowly ones' sons betrayed him.

May Allah bless you two. Bury me and write on my grave

"Here lies a stranger..."

Oh, doves of Hatim and Zam Zam! Will you not tell my mother about me?

Perhaps the days will make things lighter and free the stranger's heart of worry...

When they received the letter, Abu Ubaydah Radhiyallahu Anh read it out to the rest of the Sahaabah Radhiyallahu Anh whom he held in special honour. When Khawlah Radhiyallahu Anh heard the poem, she exclaimed 'Verily we belong to Allah and to Him do we return. There is no ability to avoid evil and to do good except through Allah, The Most High, The Most Mighty. If Allah wills, I will avenge him...'

The muslims memorised the poem and it spread amongst them. The most grieved after hearing this poem, besides Khawlah Radhiyallahu Anha, was Khalid ibn Al Walid.