// 03 //

Deliah's POV

I walked towards the balcony. My father closed the two big doors after I got in, separating us from all the people inside the event. It's quite for a second as we stared at each other.

My father sighed loudly and crossed his arms over his chest, showing superiority.

"Mr. Smith is going to buy that painting." He stated plainly, then looked over to the painting I was hugging closely to my chest.

"But fathe-"

"You heared me Deliah." He glared at me.

"You said there'll be no selling involve if I let this happen!" I shouted as I felt my anger coming up, as well as my father, who widened his eyes at my sudden outburst.

The fact that he'd break any promise that he and I agreed on, just for some money, is what I am really pissed off. Was that really all he cared about? money?

"You're selling that painting Deliah! You'll get more paintings sold, if you let Mr. Smith buy it. It'll be the start of your career." He was shouting, but faded it to more annoyed tone.

I couldn't believe what's coming out of his mouth.

"You didn't even let me explain and you're already making the decision for me?! I'm not child anymore, I should make decisions for myself and only myself." I fought back the tears that's about to spill. This painting meant so much to me as well as the other 20 inside the event.

"You're so stubborn! I agreed to that because I honestly thought that no one's gonna buy your pa-"

"I don't want the money!" I shouted in anger at my father, who I couldn't even believe was my father at all.

He was so angry at me that he grabbed the wine glass on the table and threw what's inside it at the painting I was hugging, spilling all the wine on my dress and the painting. He then slammed the wine glass back at the small table, almost breaking it then stared for a second at me and stormed out the room.

I stand there, mouth wide opened, processing what just happened. After a while, I cried. I turned the soaked painting to me and looked at the damaged. I knew that if I wiped it, it'll smudge the paints, so I just tilt the canvas for the wine to spill off of it.

My father, who the only family I have, did that to me. He lied to me. He broke a promise. He hurt me. Never would I imagine in my life that he'd do that to his daughter. He didn't let me explain why I didn't want to sell it. He straight up only care for himself and his status in life.

This painting that distracted me and even helped me cope with my mother's lost. This held a sentimental value to me, and I wanted it here with me, not to remind me of my mother's death, trust me I'll never forget about it, but to remind me that painting is something I treasure. Painting is a big help in my life, it is what my mother taught me and something she's really proud about in a way she's very supportive of my own decisions. Not like my father, who clearly only cared about money and social status in life.

"Are you okay, miss?" Someone asked from behind me. By the tone of the voice, I knew it already that it's a man. He sounded like an angel.

I was too busy crying over my painting and in my life, generally, that I didn't even noticed a man had walked in the balcony. I didn't know how long he's been here, he could be here first or he just walked in, but I could careless, I just wanted to be alone.

"I'm o-okay." My voice cracked a little from the crying I just did.

I wiped away my tears with the back of my hands and sniffed a little. I didn't want to face him looking like a mess because I knew I would look like I'm overreacting for crying over a painting, when I knew in my heart that it's not just about the painting itself. I didn't want to open up to a stranger, anyway.

"Are you sure? I'm River, by the way."

The next thing I knew he's beside me holding his hand out for me to shake.

I just stared at his hand. When he noticed I wasn't going to shake it, he put it inside his jean pocket and sighed.

"Bad timing, isn't? I'll go. Nice meeting you." He was genuinely being nice, I could see it through his small smile as he turned his back to me, about to leave.

"Wait."

I honestly didn't know why I stopped him. Too late as he's already facing me. Five feet away from me he stand there, with his eyebrows raised, waiting for me to continue. Earthy eyes looking at mine.

"I..." I was trying so hard to form a sentence but something about his presence made it really hard.

"You wanna leave this place?" River asked.

There was a pause for a moment, as I was debating whether to say yes or no. What could possibly be the case if I said yes? I just want a little distraction for what happened today and I want a little freedom. This man, which happened to be very attractive, asked me to go to god knows where, was it bad that I'm willing to take it? I guess no, for once, I'm not going to think about my father and I'm going to make decision for myself.

"Sure." I said.

-

pls vote so I'll know if u you guys are enjoying this story. gives me motivation to update too if you comment! really means a lot.

there'll be more river and deliah interaction in the next chapter.

have a great day! river loves u lot

-el 🌻