1.

When Jungkook first met you, the smile that graced his face resembled the kindness you saw often in your father. Compassionate and gentle; beyond all doubt, despite the fact that you had only met him a month ago, you felt you could trust Jungkook in marriage because of this fact.

Yourself and Jungkook worked at the same company your family owned, where your father took headship. At first, you had never taken notice of him and although you knew of his existence, your paths had never physically crossed, until a decision had been made that you were both to be joined in marriage.

You were helpless. Never had you thought that you would be thrown into an arranged marriage, but the increasing worries of your father to build a strong company before he retired had come to a breaking point. His reasoning was this: "Marriage is a bond more formidable, more strong than any. Unconditional love, which you will both grow to have for each other - as your mother and I did- is not as self-explanatory as you think. Two partners will not only support but challenge each other's principles. It's this that will make our company strong."

Regardless, you fought him the whole way, you were determined to change his traditional views for a more modern one. Perhaps he could believe that you would take care of the company in his stead; you knew you could do it, and you were convinced you did not need the insurance of marriage if you failed because-simply put- you wouldn't. However, a family business established hundreds of years ago, meant that the traditions carried over had been transformed into a way of life in your family history. Your father, his father's father and so on had all had arranged marriages. Since you were the only child, without a brother, because it was the men who typically took over the company, this meant you were to be married.

You had wondered what Jungkook thought. Surely, he didn't want to marry somebody he'd never met? Your father knew him well- their relationship was a close one and you had heard often how fondly but he'd spoken of Jungkook- but he'd never met you in person. To bind himself spiritually and emotionally to a stranger sounded like madness, but it was his willingness to marry you that made you think Jungkook was certainly insane.

Jungkook agreed almost immediately to the proposal, telling your father, "If this is what you ask of me, I will gladly do as you ask."

After his agreement did you both finally meet.

His smile, the wide softness of his eyes took you off guard. You went to shake his hand but Jungkook was the perfect gentleman, taking your palm in his to kiss it delicately. Then he bowed lowly, the nape of his neck appearing before your eyes before he straightened again and gave you another gentle smile. "My name is Jeon Jeongguk. I am to be your husband, Y/N."

You felt like a candle wick had been lit up inside you. After that meeting, the warm glow in your chest elicited a kind of comfort about your marriage for the first time. Perhaps you would learn to love each other as your parents had.

And so, you finally gave in to your family's wishes for your arranged marriage; bound both by duty and the softness of Jungkook's face.

——————————————————————————-

Red-faced and anxious, you stood before a long mirror in your wedding gown. You were finally getting married. The woman's eyes who glanced to you in the mirror's reflection were not yours. She looked simultaneously thrilled, fearful and radiant. You weren't use to feeling so much. It felt like you had too many emotions. You smoothed out the invisible creases of your dress for the thousandth time, pacing away from the mirror before returning again to peer at the your reflection.

It struck you how young you looked, you were still a child in your view, barely twenty-two and having not enough life experience to get married so young. In contrast, Jungkook was nearly three years older than you. He carried himself in a way that made others think he was older too, like he had a greater responsibility than anyone of his own age. Envious as your were, you admired this part of him, as you could see how this gave him an assured attitude that you couldn't keep up.

A soft knock at the door snapped you out of your thoughts and Jungkook appeared in a black suit. You couldn't help but notice how wonderful he looked. The blue flower on his lapel made him more handsome than ever.

"Y/N, can I speak with you?" He asked, moving hesitantly in the doorway as he eyed your wedding dress. "It's important." Unusually, Jungkook seemed troubled; a small frown knitted between his eyebrows when he scanned your appearance.

You flushed shyly, but you didn't care much for wedding traditions so you waved him in and he closed the door softly behind him. "Of course. What is it?"

It was then that you realised this was the first time you were both talking alone. Other times, you had always been in the presence of your family or company connections, which meant you never had the opportunity to speak alone together. This new information only made you more coy. You never acted this way, but Jungkook somehow brought out this side of you whenever he so much as glanced to you.

Jungkook sighed heavily, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Your smile faltered. "What's wrong? Is everything okay?"

"We've never been able to talk properly, but I wanted to explain to you why I accepted the marriage proposal when we barely know each other." He stared resolutely at you, serious. "I feel... I owe it to you."

"O-kay." You replied slowly. You didn't know how to respond. Although you were curious as to why he accepted the proposal, you were confused why he wanted to explain mere moments before your wedding. Despite this, you smiled fondly at his handsomeness and reached out to smooth down his lapel when Jungkook's hand shot out to clasp around your wrist.

Suddenly, the air felt brittle between you. The toxicity of his closeness overwhelmed you, but when you glanced up in confusion to his brown eyes you felt shut out, he looked distant, almost impassive as he instead looked at your entwined hands.

"I think you've noticed how close I am with your dad." This time Jungkook met your eyes and you quickly looked away, nodding minutely. He continued, "He's been so kind to me for such a long time..." he laughed shortly,"I sometimes wonder if it's more than I deserve. So when he approached me with this proposal..." he trailed off before sighing deeply and letting go of your wrist. Jungkook stepped back, pushing his hands in his pockets,"I think you should know that he took me in a while after my parents died. It was a very difficult time and he decided to support me. So this is my way of repayment." He paused and looked up from his feet to your face,"Do you understand?"

"I- I- don't think I-"

"I owe him. I never thought such compassion could be in a person. I've believed for a long time that... I'm indebted to him."

You were speechless, shocked by how much he felt he owed your father.

Your hurt expression did nothing to phase Jungkook, even when he stared at you, he showed no signs of regret or pity. "I don't love you, Y/N. I know you may think we could learn to love each other but I can give you nothing more than respect."

"Why nothing more?"

"Because I love somebody else."