Booked

Music blasted in my ears as I made my way to the center of the spacious dance floor. My girls right behind me, following my lead. Letting loose is what needed to be done after the week that I've had. It is hard being one of the top medical doctors in professional sports. Surgery after surgery, torn acl after torn acl. This is a well need release from all the pressure.

"Hey, Erika," my friend Brianna said, "Finally glad you decided to come out with us. Last time I remember you joining us was for Jean's bachelorette party and that was ages ago."

I grabbed her hand and spun her around as The Weeknd "Feel My Face" came on.

"You know I need to enjoy life. I am so young and need to be free," I said.

"This is the first step," said Erika, "Next, is finding you a man."

I gave her a look of confusion. 

"Girl, a man is the last thing I need," I said, "Less talking more dancing."

We dance the night away drinking however much our body could take and enjoyed ourselves.

"Fuck!"

Those were the first words to come out of my mouth as I looked at the clock on my nightstand. It read 11:00 a.m.

I am late for church.

I guess you could say my church is like any other typical African American baptist church from the many song down to getting out hours later. It was something I did every week to cleanse my soul. I go alone in my state of Nevada but back home I always attended with ,my family. I tried to per sued my friends to come but they feel that there is no need. I can't pressure them so I go by myself. I attend church,did the whole shabang and walked out. As I made my way to my car one of the members that I usually see every week came by to speak.

"Erika, it is so nice to see you. How have you been," Grace asked. It is crazy how her name is Grace but she is far from that. She reeks havoke in the church at every function. She yelled at the choir director for not singing her favorite worship song and even smacked her husband in the face at the church picnic for forgetting her napkin.

I smiled sweetly back at her while trying to escape to my car. "I am doing just swell, Grace. How are you and the kids?"

"Oh, they are doing great. RJ, the youngest, just lost his first tooth yesterday.He's growing up so fast. And Leah, the oldest is starting 1st grade tomorrow."

She began to chit chat and go on and on about her kids but all i was focused on was the tall, chocolate, delicious, man that was walking past my car while talking on his phone. His face lit up as i assume the person the phone said something he liked. His face was framed with a beard and he wore a tan suit with the top button of his collars shirt unbuttoned.

"Right, Erika?" Grace said. I immediately snapped out of my trance. I turned to her, "I totally agree. Hey, I have to go but I will see you next Sunday."

"Okay. Don't forget next week is love week so where red or pink." She said with a cheerful smile.

I smiled back as I hopped into my car and made my way home.

I got home, kicked off my heels, and plopped down on my couch. "I should probably plan for this week" I thought. I grabbed my planner and looked to see how many surgeries I have. Let's see. NO surgery tomorrow, An 8 a.m. surgery on Tuesday followed by a 3 p.m. consultation. Wednesday I am booked all day as well as Thursday. Friday I am free! This week seems to be pretty good. Last week I was overwhelmed by 3 surgeries everyday. I finally get a break. 

As I was putting my planner away my phone began to ring.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi, is this Erika Brown?"

"This Is she"

"Hey Erika, This is Scott Doe from Slight Precision here in London, England and I wanted to know if you were available to do surgery this week."

"Yeah, what day would you need it done," i asked.

"Today," Scott said.

i briefly paused and looked at the clock. It read 5 p.m. You have got to be fucking kidding me. 

"Um i don't think i can do it tonight. My team leaves the hospital at 6."

"Please, my client was on a plane back to England and while going to the bathroom he tripped and fell very hard on his knees. It was bleeding and he is in pain when he bends them."

"Hey, Scott. Quick question, OK. I know you have a British accent but just a question, you are in the United States right?"

Another pause was administered.

"No Erika, we are her in the UK. That is why we called you the best because I know that you can have my client up and running in a week tops."

He's got a point.

"Um, Scott think i can do it tomorrow. Ill board the next plane to the UK. Can you text me the address to the hospital so I can set up things for the surgery?"

"Of course i can."

"great! Ill see you soon."

Monday went from clear day to an international surgery. What a crazy life.