Chapter Ten

The Council's presence demanded the attention of everyone. There's a nervous tension hanging in the air over the student body. 

I look over at Ethan and notice that he has a blank face on, as if he doesn't want the men on the stage to know how he was feeling. However, judging by the grip he has on my hand, I know he is nervous. I give his hand a gentle squeeze back and feel some tension leave him.

"I can tell that you are all curious as to why we are here," says one man on the stage. My eyes return to the council and fall on one man who seems to be the leader, probably the head chairman. 

He has platinum blonde hair and a deep tan, though his dark eyes seem to hold something malicious, which ruin the almost angelic appearance he has. Those dark eyes scan over everyone carefully, as if he is looking for something, or someone. 

"There have been rumors of a rebellion against the council. Our informant told us that it started at this school, so we are here to find these rebels and end it. Before things get out of hand."

Whispers start up in the room and Ethan turns to me with a confused look. "Have you heard of this rebellion?"

"No," I answer, and frown. "How could something this big have stayed hidden at a school? Especially one that gossips as much as it does."

He shrugs and opens his mouth to say something, but is cut off by a loud whistle from on stage. All the talking stops as our attention is brought back to the council. The head chairman is still scanning the crowd, and his expression looks darker than before.

"We know who the leader of the rebellion is. It's someone who is a messenger of the Moon Goddess," he says.

His eyes suddenly stop on me and I hear more whispers start up. Out of the corner of my eyes, I notice everyone turning to look at me, but I can't look away from him. I can feel my connection with the Moon Goddess light up with fear. 

She's afraid.

His face morphs into a dark smile and I feel like I can't move. "Ah, there you are."

Ethan shoots to his feet, anger rolling off of him in waves. "She has nothing to do with the rebellion! I've been with her nearly every minute since she has stepped foot onto this campus, and she didn't even know about the supernatural world before coming here! How could she be running a rebellion?"

His dark eyes travel from me to my mate, that creepy smile remaining on his face. "She could've lied. She could've played you all into believing that little story."

"She wouldn't lie to me, I'm her mate!" Ethan roared.

The smile finally dropped off of the man's face. Surprise colored his features. "A mate? That's impossible. I was never told of a mate."

Anger suddenly took over the surprise and I saw his fists clench. My eyes widen as Ethan goes flying to the side, as if pushed by something invisible. I try to run over to him only to have the head chairman appear in from of me, his hand shooting up to grip my face, fingers digging into my cheeks. A cry of pain escapes my lips and my hands rise to his wrist, trying to pry him off.

"You're coming with me," he hisses.

"No the hell I'm not!" I spit, and he gets that creepy smile back on his face.

"Then I guess it's gonna be the hard way," he mumbles. There's a pain in my head and then everything goes dark.

* * *

The next thing I know, I'm laying on the floor of someplace cold. My head is throbbing and feels strangely empty. It's as if I'm missing something, and then I realize that I can't feel the connection to the Moon Goddess anymore.