Chapter 8- Bereft

"Hey, beautiful, wake up," I could hear a voice say.

I groaned a little, slowly opening my eyes. I felt a pain in my head. I sat up, rubbing my head, when a red- headed boy appeared in front of me.

He smiled at me.

I let out a shriek and scooted backward, grabbing my bow as I pressed my back against the wall to keep him away from me.

"Hey, it's okay, it's okay. I won't hurt you. I'm one of the good guys. You know, Kid Flash," the boy said, pointing to himself.

I looked at his uniform. "I've see Kid Flash on T.V. He doesn't wear black," I said.

"Uh, little unclear on that myself. What about you? Green Arrow fixation?" he asked.

I looked down on my clothes and my eyes widened as I grabbed my light green shirt with an arrow head symbol on the chest. "Who put me in this?" I asked, feeling the mask that covered my eyes.

"Wow, I am not touching that with a ten foot- uh. So, you know how to use that bow?" he asked.

"No, I'm just holding it for no reason," I said sarcastically. "My mom taught me." Then something inside my head clicked. "Mom. She must've done this. Another one of their stupid tests to prove I'm worthy."

"What kind of test?" Kid Flash asked.

"She most likely wants me to kill you," I said, looking him dead in the eyes.

His eyes widened.

We heard a noise from above us and we looked up. Suddenly, Kid Flash grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the way as a bomb came crashing down and blowing up the hut we were just in.

The explosion sent Kid Flash and I flying through the air before we hit the ground.

I opened my eyes and gasped we I realized I was laying on top of him. "Uh, sorry," I said, getting off of him and standing up. I stuck out my hand and pulled him up before we looked over to see tanks in the distance and a jeep coming right at us.

We started running in the other direction as bullets were shot at us. I glanced behind us and jumped as I grabbed an explosive arrow and shot it right at the bottom of the jeep, sending it flying while I rolled on the ground in a crouched position.

I hid behind a rock and I was getting ready to start shooting at the other jeeps when Kid Flash ran over and picked me up bridal style and started running away.

I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and glared at him. "Sorry, they've got bigger arrows," he said.

Something about this- about him holding me- felt strangely familiar. Comforting even.

I hid my face in his chest while my arms got tighter around his shoulders as the tanks kept shooting at us.

Finally, I looked up. "Thanks," I said, gazing into his goggle covered eyes.

"Hey, I told you, good guy. Now, not to pry, but, uh, what's you name? And what's this about you killing me?"

"My name's ...." I thought for a moment before something clicked. "My name's Arrowhead. And you just saved my life. I don't care what Mom or Dad says, I'm not killing you," I told him and he smiled before looking ahead.

* * *

After a little bit, he stopped running, set me down, and rested his hands on his knees, bent over, panting.