Night Terrors

Zack would wake up at night, terrified, his old wounds burning from past memories. During those times, he would stare at a sleeping Rachel who was sleeping on the opposite end of the bed. He would lie awake until sleep took over, bags and dark circles appearing under his eyes.

Rachel didn't notice, she never did. She was always busy. Always. She was never home, she was always out. Always disappearing. He could never find her. It never mattered, as long as she was alright, he was. She was sleeping, before Zack stood, leaning against the wall, grabbing his scythe. Stepping out into the cold night air, his hoodie covered with dry blood.

He wandered around, eyes drooping as he walked into an alleyway, a couple making out in the back. "Ah fuckin gross!" He exclaimed, bringing his scythe down before they could react. He slumped down from exhaustion, sliding down against the wall. He groaned, hair falling over his face.

He stepped up, before someone stepped into view, flashlight shining in his eyes. "Ah! The fuck!" He shielded his eyes, the man gasping and raising his gun. Before Zack could react, a bullet ripped through his stomach. He gasped, before grabbing his scythe and running to the side and dodging a second bullet, bringing his scythe down once more, the man's head flying right off.

Zack gasped, before limping home, trying not to trail blood as he stepped through, falling on the floor of his living room with a thump. He heard footsteps descending down the stairs, a small gasp echoing. "Zack!" Rachel rushed forwards, hugging his limp body, blood seeping through his hoodie.

He was supported up by Rachel, who had set him down on a couch. "Hey... What happened?" He looked to the side, avoiding Rachel's gaze. Rachel looked closer, suddenly noticing the eye bags. "Oh Zack.. I'm sorry I didn't notice." She murmured after tending to the bullet wound.

Zack faced her, expression unreadable. "You left me alone for sleepless nights for countless weeks... always going on walks.. but not only that, ignoring me." There was guilt on her face. "I'm sorry... I was just thinking about what would happen if we were caught.."

Zack raised an eyebrow. "Why should you when- argh fuck. Never mind. I'm going back to sleep, do whatever the fuck you want." He settled on his side,  eyes fluttering shut, the images of fire popping up as his eyes snapped open. Rachel was staring right at him. "The fuck you brat?!"

He snapped, flinching away. Rachel reached a hand out, stroking Zack's hair. He made an odd expression, Rachel smiling and climbing onto the couch, hugging Zack. His eyes closed.

And this time, he didn't get a single nightmare.