Day 2

The kids screamed as they raced each other around the playground. Jim and Ellie chuckled. They watched peacefully, holding hands and talking about their grandchildren. Sammy reached the ladder before his sister and scampered to the top. Little Frankie looked up and pouted at him, annoyed that she hadn't beat him there. Sammy paused to stick his tongue out at her, and she shouted at him and started climbing. The two continued their little rampage for a few more minutes until Frankie called out. "Grandma, Grandma!"

Ellie leaned forward and waved her over to their bench. Frankie ran over and grabbed her hand. "Grandma, can I please get ice cream? Pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top?" The smaller of the two danced around and hopped a bit, tugging on her grandma's hand. By this time, Sammy had joined and started begging as well. Jim looked at his wife and saw her smile. Sure enough, everyone could now hear the music of the ice cream truck. Ellie nodded and stood up, holding her grandchildren's hands.

"Let's go, kids," she said, and they started off toward the truck. Jim watched them with a grin on his face.

There was a knock on the door. Jim opened his eyes and sat up. There stood Jerry in the doorway, peeking in with a sad look on his face. "Hey, Dad. How are you holding up?" He dropped his hand from the door and stepped inside.

At first, Jim was confused. Then, it all came back to him. He looked to the other side of the bed. Ellie wasn't there. Instead, the sheets were tidy and the nightstand clear. Jim looked back at his son and scowled. "I'm doing just fine. Your mother is, too."

Jerry looked pained. "Dad, stop."

"What?!" he snapped. "I don't know why you insist on doing this to us."

Jerry took a step forward and through his hands outward. "It's because she's dead, Dad!" He faltered, blinked. He stepped back toward the door. "I'm sorry. She's dead. You need to accept that."

Jim felt his face twist as he waved his son to the side and got up to march into the kitchen. Jerry followed. "I just don't understand this, Jerry. Your mother says you wouldn't lie to me, but you clearly are. Either drop this nonsense or leave my house."
Jerry was stunned, but his father didn't back down. Even a blind man could see how serious he was. So Jerry worked his jaw once, twice, and trailed his father into the kitchen. He sat down at the table and nodded. He had no idea what else to do. He couldn't bear the thought of losing his father as well. "Yeah. Okay."

Jim nodded. "Alright. Good. Do you want some oatmeal then?" Jerry nodded, and the two ate breakfast. It seemed to press on both men that Ellie wasn't sitting alongside them.