Chapter One

I was tired of feeling powerless.

I was tired of doing what I was told regardless of how I felt.

They couldn't make me go, I would make sure of that.

I stared at the barren trees before me, a stark contrast to the ones behind me which were full of life and color. These were gnarled and gray, twisting together to form a small opening filled with shadows. It was maybe big enough for a small child to walk through comfortably, but I would definitely have to crawl. And it would still be incredibly tight. Without warning, my mind conjured up the thought that I might get stuck halfway through.

A chill washed over me, and for a moment my resolve wavered. This was the last place I needed to be, the last place I was supposed to be. Without thinking, I took one step back. I was about to take another step when Mom's words echoed through my head.

"Things are changing, honey. He's taking us home."

Home. I knew what she had meant by that even if it never was my home.

Olympus. The land of the gods.

I shook my head and stepped forward. That place was truly where I didn't need to be. Not here.

With a shaky breath, I balled my fists, the rings on my fingers biting into the skin uncomfortably, and walked forward. I could hear them calling my name from a distance, but with each step forward the voices grew fainter and fainter until they disappeared entirely.

My bare feet curled slightly into the dirt as I stood at the opening, the cold air from inside blowing strands of my brown curls away from my face.

I knew that he would go to the ends of the earth to find me. I knew this was my only choice.

Since he would go to the ends of the earth, I'd have to go beyond that.

Even if it meant running straight into hell.

A twig snapped behind me, causing me to turn quickly and meet Thena's wide eyes.

I put my finger to my mouth, begging her silently to not alert the others of my presence.

I watched my friend, sometimes my only friend, take in the scene before her. Her gray eyes flashed with a range of emotions: shock, fear, and something that looked very much like relief. My brow furrowed at the last one, sure I had read her wrong, but the more I looked the more I saw it. It almost felt like she was glad I was here, glad I was doing this.

She held up her pinky, silently promising me she wouldn't tell, and I smiled sadly. I held up my own pinky, overwhelmed with the knowledge that she understood. And somehow I knew that she would do the same if she could.

She turned and ran back, and I let out a sigh of relief.

I had to hurry, before someone who didn't share our sentiments came around next. Before I could think on it any further, I got down on my knees and began to crawl. I felt the air shift, a chill set in and the darkness hang over me like a blanket, but I ignored it all and kept going.

I shook slightly, forcing myself to focus on my breathing and not the fact that I couldn't even see my own hands in front of me. Just as panic began to be too much to bear, some of the weight lifted, and my eyes adjusted as the darkness faded. Granted, it still was dark, but I could make out enough for some calm to settle in.

It was then that I realized I had made it to the other side. Slowly, I stood to my feet, taking in the scene before me.

It... definitely wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Not by a long shot. The trees still held no bloom, which made me sad, but it didn't look much different from the human world. I looked up, noticing the twinkling stars that burned like little suns, and there was no moon in sight.