Chapter 23

Eko couldn't move. His hands clenched the tablecloth and he held his breath. "How...how do you know about these things?"

The dark man looked up at him, eyes softening, and face melting into a sad smile. "I know what you're going through Ekrios, because I've gone through it myself."

"You're from Atlys?" His voice shook.

Mr. Leventis nodded. "I was a priest in the Temple of Poseidon. A long time ago."

"What happened?"

"Exiled, by the Nyxus. I figured if my own people wouldn't accept me, perhaps the humans would. So I swam up."

"You weren't afraid of dying? Or having your eyes burned out?"

"I was very aware what might happen to me. But knowing and caring are two different things. For years I drifted alone in the forbidden plains. There was only cold and darkness and loneliness. I had no contact with anyone. I became half wild with nothing to feed on but my anger and regret. When I looked up and saw the yellow light, I knew if I were to die, at least it would be a quick end. Much more kind than the life I was living."

Eko bit the inside of his cheek. "Why were you exiled?"

Mr. Leventis took another bite of fish. "The Nyxus was merciless. I was caught alone in the vault with the Heart after a ceremony. The vault is forbidden without the Nyxus, even to a priest."

Eko looked at the table. He too had been caught with the Heart. "I'm sorry."

The big man tipped his head. "We're not the only ones, you know. I've traveled the world and come across a few here and there. Many have gravitated to Greece. I don't blame them, it is our motherland after all. They've all come around eventually. Became part of my family."

Eko's eyes shot up. "Greece exists? It's in the Upperworld?"

"Yes. I've spent a lot of time there. Formed the Blood of Poseidon. Gathered followers."

He shifted in his chair. "What do you want from me?"

"To be your friend. I know that you are still new to this world. I don't want you to feel like you're alone."

Eko thought of Lainey and Alec. He wasn't alone, but neither could he tell them about his predicament. How he had longed to confide in someone.

"Out of all the merrowmen I've found here," Mr. Leventis continued, "you are the one I've been most drawn to. We're both the same, and it's that sameness that separates us from the rest."

"What do you mean?"

"We were both chosen by the Heart."

Eko knitted his brows together. "Chosen?"

"Of course. You were drawn to it weren't you? You couldn't resist its sweet music."

Eko remembered the pull of Poseidon's song; the irresistible urge to touch it. "How do you know so much about me?"

Mr. Leventis sat back in his chair. "It showed me." He put his fingertips together. "You're capable of so much more than you think."

"What?"

"You touched the Heart, Ekrios. Like me, you made a physical connection to it. But you have an advantage I don't. You were born a fish herder."

"How is that an advantage?"

"Unlike me you have the power to see far distances. Perhaps with this power, you can access the Heart. Your potential is limitless. But the question remains: will you use that potential to fulfill the wishes of the god of our ancestors? Or, like Krios, will you keep it all for yourself?"

Eko felt his pulse race. He slumped in his chair and steadied himself against the table remembering his dream of Poseidon. Take me from my prison. Give me to my blood. "I don't know. I don't know what Poseidon intends to do."

Mr. Leventis leaned forward. "I'm here to teach you."

There was a small knock on the door and Mr. Ardent entered. "Sir, the Blood is starting to assemble."

Mr. Leventis pushed his chair back and stood up. He smiled at Eko. "Feel free to finish your meal. Douglas will take you back to your room when you're done." He turned to leave and then paused. "Soon, I'll invite you to attend one of our little gatherings. When you're ready of course." He strode across the green carpeting and went out the door.