Callbacks

It had been a few weeks since the infamous kiss between Rachel and Jesse, neither of them were quite ready to talk about what happened so they continued to act like nothing had changed between them. The adjustment to college life had been difficult for Rachel, it felt like it was High School all over again and she had to try meet new people without freaking them out with how career drive she was. But what surprised her the most during her short time at the school was that everyone else just like her, they were all career orientated and weren't going to let anything get in their way. NYADA was cut throat and Rachel loved it, she finally felt challenged. 

The worst part though was her dancer teacher, Cassandra July, the devil herself. Rachel thought that Sue had been back at High School but it seemed like Cassandra had it out for most of her students, most dance classes were a blood bath and it was her very first one where it all went downhill. 

The dance class was full of eager and excited students, it was one of their first practical classes and they couldn't wait to finally dip their toes into the NYADA pond, after all they only taught the best of the best. Rachel stood by Jesse, of course, as they waited for teacher to arrive, she couldn't help but marvel at the variety of people in the room, all of whom came from different walks of life and finally getting to live their dream at New York studying at one of the most prestigious drama schools in New York. 

The joy however was short lived, the double doors bounced open and in walked a stunning blonde who didn't look a day over 30 with abs of steel, and she did not look happy. 

"All right kids, show me what you got" 

Rachel blinked, just like that? No introduction? No 20 minute warm up? She glanced up at Jesse with frightened eyes but he gave her an encouraging smile back, of course he would since he didn't have anything to worry about being the amazing dancer he was. 

"5, 6, 7, 8!" 

At the final count Rachel eagerly watched as the groups before her went, she eyed their technique and counted their steps in her head, making sure she picked it up with ease as she didn't want to fall flat on her face during her first dance class. As the first group went Cassandra watched them, her eyes narrowed and faulting everything she could. 

"Welcome to NYADA! This is dance 101. My name is Cassandra July and if you're not suffering from severe body dysphoria then you don't want it enough" She pulled her can over her shoulders and eyed the small, brunette girl who was now leaping her way across the dance floor, followed closely by a handsome young gentleman with a luscious set of curls. 

"Let's get this straight freshman. There may be two of you in this room that are good enough to make it in this business" Cassandra smirked, not noticing the intense fear that had just hit Rachel as she waited for her turn to dance again. "As for the rest of you, thank you for paying my rent on my loft in Soho" 

Jesse could tell from Rachel's body language that she no longer felt as confident as she first had when they started class, he frowned and took a glance at their teacher, who was now staring him with a look of desire in her eyes. He internally groaned, what is it with teachers wanted their students? 

"Hey" Cassandra spotted a girl who was nearing the beginning of the queue, she stopped her in her step and smiled a deadly sweet smile. "What's your name? Muffin Top?" She mocked. 

"No, uh, it's Lydia" 

Cassandra pursed her lips and pulled her to the side, "No. Your name is muffin top" She emphasised, staring the girl down in her eyes. "And from now on, it's rice cakes and ipecac. Otherwise cut off a butt cheek because you need to lose a few pounds"