S2 - Something Unexpected - pt.1

First one-shot of Season 2! Enjoy!
Also, 229 reads guys! You are truly incredible and I'm so grateful. Thanks!

The second sunlight met Clarke's weary eyes, she flinched and brought her hand up to shield her vision.

Camp Jaha was bustling with people and the sun shone high in the sky. It was almost noon as people and children went about their day tending the crops or carrying supplies to and from the Ark Station. Though, the same memories of people going about their day but instead in the confines of stone walls rooted Clarke where she stood.

Her eyes widened in shock; her mind flashing back to the horrors of Mount Weather. The figures of Grounders confined to cramped cages and hollow, lifeless, bodies dumped into mining carts made her blood run cold. Absently, she traced a hand up her arm in remembrance of the blood of others that had covered her; most of it probably being Anya's.

Though now, she had backup. The hazy memories of breaking down a few hours ago against Abby, echoed through her mind as she remembered the one thing that had somehow filled her with hope again in all the darkness.

Finn and Bellamy were alive.

She hadn't made a choice that would haunt her from that day onward and after all the nights she had spent agonising if she could have just waited a little longer before closing the dropship. Against all odds, they had survived and now that she knew she had back Bellamy's support as co-leaders and Finn's tracking skills there must be some way to make peace with the Grounders to get to Mount Weather. To get their people out.

But they were running out of time. It would only be so long before her own people may be in danger of being experimented on in the same way as the others trapped in Mount Weather.

Clarke stepped away from the tent but winced as general movement irritated her aching muscles and bruised ribs. She hadn't seen the stitches decorating her face but from the look, Abby had given her she knew that it was a mess of lines and scratches, so she slowly took a step before her eyes found a figure resting on a rock beside the tent.

"Clarke."

"Hi."

Clarke's eyes lit up immediately as she embraced her friend. Relief flooded through her as she thought back to the last time she'd seen Raven, very much on the brink of death from her spinal injury.

Raven looked up excitedly at Clarke. "I've been waiting out here all night. Abby said you needed sleep," she spoke concerned, but the smile she had, threatened to split her face. She watched as Clarke returned the smile before it dimmed and disappeared when the blonde eyed her leg brace at arm's length. Raven smiled in reassurance but it appeared fake and forced.

"Raven..." Clarke spoke quietly, seeing right through her. She felt guilt and shame at the thought that she didn't do more when it was needed. Why didn't she learn more from her mother before she left the Ark?

"It sucks, but I'm dealing with it," Raven replied solemnly, still trying her best to smile before her head snapped up as shouts arose from the main gate. A loud buzz echoed through camp, turning heads to the reason for the sound.

Clarke felt her heart begin to beat faster as she watched to see who the arrivals were; her neck craning for a better view.

Maybe they'd decided to bring Anya's body in after all, after her cold-blooded murder the night before. As the thought crossed her mind, Clarke's gaze went cold and she thumbed her jacket over the spot where the bullet had torn through her arm in the blackness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellamy's solemn gaze swept through camp. The large metal gates of Camp Jaha swung open on creaking hinges as he kept a protective arm around Mel who hadn't stopped shaking since watching Sterling plummet to his death off the cliff. His eyes were wary, watching the guards as if they would arrest him again at any moment but he walked forward, followed closely by Octavia who was supporting a limping Monroe.