Chapter 11

Yukino tried to stop her tears. Rubbing her face furiously, she sat down at the edge of the fountain. It was a cold night and nobody else was out in the garden.

Yukino didn't know why she had run out. Each day she told herself that she wouldn't continue to hide. That the next time someone said anything about her face, she would stay strong. But the moment she felt their eyes on her all her resolve broke down.

Some people had laughed at her and bullied her more as they thought she was a crybaby. But the real reason why she couldn't stand up to them was quite different. It was because she knew how far people would go just because they hated the way she looked.

Her parents had left them because of her. To them she was a freakish child- somthing unnatural. And it didn't help that she had powerful abilities which she couldn't control.

Her siblings never blamed her for this. In their little town, to everyone but her siblings, Yukino's mere existence was considered as a blemish.

But in her entire life never had a stranger said something so directly to her face.

What a hateful little thing.....

Suddenly there was a sound behind her. Yukino turned and saw a woman with blonde hair walking towards the fountain.

Yukino wondered if she had come out to call her back or something but the woman ignored her. She stood on the other side of the fountain and pulled out a cigarette.

What was her name.... Somebody was saying it...... Cheryl?!

Something extraordinary caught her eye then. The woman had proceeded to light her cigarette but not with a lighter. She merely placed her fingers to the end and created a spark.

She noticed Yukino's gaze.

"It's much more convenient to do it this way. I suppose you have some gifts too?"

Yukino immediately turned away with a slight nod of her head.

Sherlene.... that was the name.... And she can control fire... that's cool....

Yukino decided to go back to her room. She didn't want to see anyone else today. But as she stood up to leave Sherlene spoke.

"How long are you going to behave like a child whenever someone just looks at you?"

Yukino froze in her tracks. One part of her just wanted to run again but she was feeling angry. She had not said anything to that spiteful brat inside but now her anger and saddness came boiling over.

"People don't just look!!! They treat me like a monster! They are scared of me and to them I'm an ugly scary freak!!! You think I'm acting like a child?!"

"Yes." Said Sherlene without any hint of emotion as she came around to her side and faced her.

"You don't.... You don't know! You don't know the things I've had to go through! The things people had said to me!"

"No I don't. And I wouldn't unless you tell me right? Or am I to divine that you can't stand your own face inspite of having lived with it for so long?"

This cold statement hit her hard. Yukino faltered and looked down again.

"And don't avoid my gaze. Do you think looking away when someone tells the truth will change it?"

"Wha- What?"

Yukino's voice was shaking. For some reason she was rooted to the spot. She didn't want to hear what Sherlene was going to say but she wasn't able to turn away.