m e m o r i e s

Link's P.O.V

I was sat in a field. Around me, the wind danced and sung, blowing gently through the strands of my hair, the slight cold tinging the tips of my elven ears. Somewhere in the distance a bird chirped, and I exhaled softly. Slightly dewy blades of grass lightly caressed my resting hand on the ground, propping myself up while he laid gently on my shoulder in his slumber. The corner of my mouth managed to quirk up on its own accord. I felt... at peace. Like I was finally sleeping, finally resting after neglecting sleep's tendril grasp for so long.

Almost subconsciously, my other hand slowly reached up to rest around his shoulders, pulling him closer to me, causing him to let out a soft sigh in his sleep. I wanted to fold him up in my arms and never let go, just crush our souls together so we'd never be torn apart again.

Could I possibly live through being apart from him again? Somehow, I made it through the first time, but it's said the second time always hurts more. No matter what happens, I can't let go again.

I never should have let go in the first place.

///

I shot up from my bed, gasping as I felt tears run down my cheeks. Silently I bit my lip and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the weight that was settled on my chest, pushing me down through the ground and into hell.

This happens almost every morning. Really, I shouldn't be surprised every morning, I shouldn't wake up sobbing and crying and struggling to breathe just because of some stupid dream that makes reality seem so horrendous and unbearable.

He's gone now, and there's nothing I can do to change that. So why do I always feel like this, like there's something I should do, or should've done? He just walked out on me one day with no explanation, he shouldn't make me feel like this still, I shouldn't still dream of him every day and night. He shouldn't still control me like this.

But he does. Oh, he does. I can't do anything without him constantly plaguing my mind, I can't close my eyes without seeing his silhouette—because that's all I can see. All I can even imagine.

Because I'm in love with someone I can't remember, no matter how hard I try.

There was a light tapping on my door, before Zelda warily walked in.

"Hey, Link," she sighed, her face falling when she noticed the tear stains on my cheeks, my bloodshot eyes, and my overall wrecked appearance. "You... you dream about him again?"

"He's all I dream about, Zel," I whispered, my voice high-pitched and strained from crying. "After all the potions I've tried to drink, all the faeries and medicine and advice and meditating he's still... still always there!"

Zelda frowned at me, tears starting to well up in her own eyes. "I'm so sorry, Link. I wish I could help you, but I don't know what else to do. I've never even been in love before, I don't even know how to help in the first place."

"I just want to forget him," I muttered, a couple more tears escaping from my eyes and running down my cheeks.

"But do you? Do you really?" Zelda asked, staring at me, her eyes shining. "It seems like all you're doing is clinging onto the memories that you do remember, and trying your hardest not to forget the few things that you've managed to remember about him."

"It doesn't make any sense, Zelda, how am I in love with someone I don't even know? I don't know how he looks, what his favorite color is, what books he reads, what game he was from, what makes him happy... Why me? Why out of anybody, did this have to be me?" I sobbed, turning away, not wanting to see Zelda's look of sadness and pity. She was trying, sure, what more could I really ask for her to do? But her trying to understand and trying to make me feel better doesn't really help, it can't really help.