difficult choices

"One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder

"One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder."

"Pogo! Mom!" Thea screamed into the chasm of the academy, blood on her hands and front, face twisted in anguish. "We need help!"

The ape and woman quickly came rushing into the atrium, greeting Thea with astonished expressions. "What–"

"Allison's hurt. She needs medical attention immediately!"

To their credit, neither Pogo nor Grace allowed their worry to cloud their features and they both quickly got into a role of professionalism, dashing around the house to collect the necessary items. The drive back had been hell and Thea could still feel the adrenaline pumping through her veins, causing her limbs to shake like mad.

Luther and the boys had carried Allison into the house and into the spare room dedicated for this kind of thing, depositing her onto the medical bed where Grace was quick to staunch the wound once more with gloved hands.

"She's suffered a severe laceration to her larynx," Grace said to Pogo, who nodded curtly and began to lay out the equipment they'd need to operate. "Somebody will need to give blood."

"I will." They all chorused as one and without hesitation, but Luther pushed his way forward, "I'm doing it."

"I'm afraid that's not advisable, dear boy." At Luther's furious expression, Pogo tried to explain. "Your blood would be more compatible with mine."

Klaus stepped up next, offering his tattooed arm to them both. "Don't sweat it. I love needles."

Once more Pogo stepped in with an apologetic grimace. "Master Klaus, your blood is, how shall I say this..."

"It's polluted, Klaus," Thea snapped, pushing her brother aside and rolling up her sleeve to offer to Grace. The woman immediately wiped the skin with disinfectant and inserted the needle, extracting the blood that would be necessary in saving Allison's life. "The last thing we need is Allison waking up an addict."

Klaus winced. "Ah, fair point."

Diego looked on the edge of fainting at the sight of the red liquid rapidly filling up the syringe and he had to turn away with a hand against his mouth, face pallid. Thea tapped her foot, anxiously.

"You may want to sit down, dear," Grace said with a patient smile. "This is going to take a while."

"I'm fine, Mom."

"You're going to start feeling light-headed, Miss Thea," Pogo said as he walked closer, pushing the cart of medical equipment towards Allison's unconscious form. They'd used a clamp device to keep the wound closed for now, but Thea knew they'd soon need to cauterise and insert the stitches. Her own skin crawled at the thought. "Your sister is going to need plenty of blood if she is to survive."