Chapter 1: The Arrival

"Ambition is vital, but dangerous: it is a keen motive and a driving force, but over what edge can it drive the artist?" - Eric Maisel.

He was near. He knew that.

So very near. Almost within his grasp.

He felt a little giddy, though he knew he shouldn't. It wasn't mature of him. Professional.

He had been searching for this machination for months, ever since he first heard of it. Following every bit of far-fetched leads that he could find so he could have it all for himself.

And making sure those loose ends were tied like a rope into a knot...or a disfigured pulp for the case of my helpful companions, he thought with a jolly smile at the memories, Couldn't have any competitors finding what was rightfully mine.

He never did believe in magic; science was the closest thing to 'magic' for him, as robotics was closest to giving life ever since the failure classified as Emma. But he was assured that this would have the "best of both worlds".

He couldn't just give up an opportunity like this. Especially with his age.

He couldn't end. The bits of grey appearing in his hair were becoming more frequent.

He needed more time. He just needed to know more. To take more.

He abruptly frowned.

Though it's rather unpleasant he had to chase his fascination to a ferry back to that blasted island.

Isla Nublar, the Clouded Island.

No doubt no one would even recognise him, he wasn't as sloppy as he was in his younger years. He now hid in the shadows, preying away at what he wanted, when he saw fit to it, and not leaving a mess in the process.

And made sure, with sufficient bribing, that his employees erased his mistakes, never speaking a word of those failures ever again.

Shame he wasn't there to oversee the process, but he supposed now, once he was on that hunk of wasted scientific potential, he would make sure nothing was left.

And lucky for him, he had two associates inside the staff, ensuring any traces of his presence would never be recorded.

How lucky he was to bump into that man and woman; he thanked his natural ability to talk to people. Especially when using the idea of love against the latter.

His face contorted into a grimace at that word.

Naïve souls, blindly and foolishly following such a lie.

He scoffed, and mockingly chuckled at the meaningless concept. He looked to the other passengers, the families, the couples, the friends.

Such fools, carrying such a weakness around, he shook his head, rolling his eyes at the displays of affection around him, I'm glad to be rid of those chains.

His amber orbs scanned around the passengers, searching for anyone out of the ordinary, someone that may be following him.

He didn't find anyone worrisome, though his eyes did land on two particular passengers.

A young woman with an even younger child- a boy from what he could see. Both were seated next to each other, his observation gone unnoticed by the two.

The young woman had her arms crossed and firm, while the young boy looked to be enclosed to himself, nervously fidgeting with his hands.

He raised a brow when the young woman hissed quietly at the young boy, the latter stopping his fidgety actions.

He felt that familiar urge tug at his mind, the one that recommended he pay close attention.

He focused on observing the two more closely.

Both obviously knew each other. Was she the babysitter? Highly unlikely. Family members? That sounded more...plausible. Though they hardly shared any similarities. Foster siblings, perhaps?

Regardless of what their relationship was, the two had intrigued his interest.

The young woman seemed to be in her early twenties, barely an adult. She had long auburn hair, kempt and luxurious. He admired the tidiness. He liked to keep tidy himself, unlike most people he was unfortunately acquainted with.

Freckles scattered her cheeks and small nose. He studied her face, the pursed lips, her ambitious hazel eyes taking chances to glance at the young boy next to her, scrunched eyebrows and forehead, her sparkling eye lashes methodically waving when closed.

His amber orbs traced the smooth curve of her chubby cheeks, how unusually perfect the bone held her skin up. He took note of the professional attire she wore on her tall and plump form. He looked back to her face, the porcelain skin and the make-up she had applied making this remarkable specimen almost perfect.

Almost.

He frowned at the realisation. Here was a specimen that's physique was near perfection, one that looked to be someone capable of business with as much ambition as himself. And while her physique was perfect, her flaw seemed to be internal.

Her tolerance was low, mood erratic with no calmness in the air surrounding her. That was clear. She did not have a grasp over her patience. And not to mention, she was intentionally bringing along baggage that she could do without.

Speaking of which.

He gradually turned his attention to the younger passenger besides her.

The boy - no older than at least ten - had short cut brown hair and cautious brown eyes. Even though his hair was combed, there were a few strands that sprouted up, barely keeping together. The boy's clothes were casual yet respectful, possibly on the young woman's behalf, though it's much suited for winter rather than the tropical island. Oddly enough, he was a little scrawny, even for a boy as young as him.

He will grow into his looks, he concluded.

Though he could not see any other desirable benefit that the boy had.

The young woman had a fiery ambition in her eyes, like himself. That's what made her useful.

A bitter disappointment, though he was used to such things in his life.

Oddly enough, how the boy held himself in his seat brings back memories of his own childhood.

Yes, he remembered how he held himself like that. Afraid of making the wrong movement, to mess up, to bring their ire attention towards him. Afraid to feel their wrath.

He clenched his hands into fists.

Don't think about those underlings. Four decades they haven't plagued your mind, don't let them in now. Not while a solution is within reach...

"Attention all passengers!" The ferry's intercoms announced, "We are arriving on the northwest dock of Isla Nublar! Thank you for your patience!"

He calmly exhaled his breath, relieving his clenched hands.

He glanced over to the two youths he was studying earlier, the young woman breathing out a 'finally' before prepping herself and the young boy to leave.

The boy got himself ready, grabbing his bag and standing up with the young woman.

He will have to keep an eye out for them. Just in case.

But as of now, he must make his way through "Jurassic World".

Such waste.