Chapter Twenty

"The basketball team recruited you?"

Haru nodded. "If you're not against it, I would love to join them."

"Why are you even asking permission from me?" I couldn't help but frown. I get that we're dating, but is it necessary to ask for my permission? Kahit na magkasintahan kaming dalawa, may sarili parin naman kaming mga buhay na hindi dapat pakialaman.

Well, at least that's what I think. He's my first boyfriend, so I don't know how it really works. I've never dated anyone before, that's why I'm totally clueless when it comes to these things.

"You're my girlfriend, Lucy. Before making a decision, of course I'd like to gain your approval first. After all, 70% of my life revolves around you." I pursed my lips and quietly listened to him. Sobrang daldal talaga nito. "Uhm, the 20% goes to food, and the remaining 10% is allotted to basketball." Ang dami na naman niyang sinabi.

"Ah."

He grinned. "So, is it okay for me to join them?"

I gave him a bored look. "Suit yourself."

"Can't you at least pretend that you care?" Haru pouted, feigning a hurt. "Come to think of it, Lucy. If I join the basketball team, I'm going to have less time to be lovey-dovey with you. 'Di ba ikaw malungkot?" He linked his arms to me as he waited for my answer.

"I don't mind." I said in the nicest way possible. Sa totoo lang, pabor pa sa akin iyon. Hindi naman sa ayaw ko siyang makasama, pero para na kasing linta si Haru na ayaw humiwalay sa akin.

He bit his lower lip. "You don't care about me at all, Lucy."

Napangiwi ako dahil bigla siyang umupo sa sahig at nagtakip ng mukha gamit ng dalawang kamay. I heaved out a deep sigh. Most of the time, Haru's too sensitive for me to handle. He tends to cry over the littlest things, and he often acts like a child. Sometimes, I find it cute. But, there are also instances when I find it annoying.

"You know, I may not be the sweetest girlfriend, but I know the duties that I have to perform." I knelt down in front of him, levelling our heads. Maingat kong isinuklay ang aking kamay sa kanyang buhok. "As your girlfriend, I should support you, right? That's why I'm telling you, it's okay. Besides, I wanna see you play, too."

I know nothing about love, but I'm aware that a relationship should be give and take. One should be considerate to his or her partner. So, instead of holding him back, I should be supportive of Haru. If basketball makes him happy so much, then I should learn to accept the part of him that loves to play.

My boyfriend looked like he was about to cry. "I love you!"

"Hmm." I gave him a small smile. "Come on, your teammates must be waiting for you." I prompted him to stand up. He obediently did.

As we made our way to the gymnasium, I could feel the curious glances of the students around us. Ever since the youngest Shiota transferred in this school, he's been popular among the girls. Some of them even added and messaged him on facebook. Hindi lang niya pinapansin ang mga ito dahil ang turo raw sa kanya, huwag daw siyang makikipag-usap sa mga estranghero.

When we arrived at the gym, the basketball team was in the middle of practice. It looked like they were really enjoying the game. Nang mapatingin ako kay Haru, napangiti ako dahil halos kumislap ang mga mata niya sa tuwa. He's excited to play with them, huh?

Passion... I love how it makes a person more beautiful.

"Oh," Nagtaka naman ako dahil biglang bumagsak ang mga balikat ni Haru. Intrigued by his sudden change of mood, I asked him if there's something wrong. Mas lalo naman siyang nalugmok.