Black Lace

"Here are the folders of the Samuel case, your messages, the bagel you wanted and a coffee. Anything else?"

I carefully place the coffee on his desk and pile the folders next to it.

He embraces the cup with his large hands and pulls a face when he takes a sip.

"What's wrong, now?" I ask.

"There is fat free milk in there." He mumbles and spits the coffee back into the cup.

"Sofia told me to use non fat for your coffee."

"Excuse me?" He frowns and scratches his stubble, glancing at his computer.

"I said, Sofia told me to-

"I understood you, Miss Lovato. I was just second guessing your statement. Why on earth would she say something like that?"

I shift awkwardly from side to side. "Well...she is kind of concerned about your ...body."

His eyes widen and I immediately feel guilty. "She thinks I'm fat?"

"Those weren't her exact words.."

Mr. Downey gets up quickly and studies himself in the huge mirror on the backdoor. "She really thinks I'm fat..I'm not fat! Am I?"

His hands are pulling on his shirt, tightening it around his chest and stomach. And I could see the muscles emerge under it. A frown appears on his face and I'm trying so hard to hide my grin. It looks ridiculous, him wondering about anything that has to do with his body. "Do I look fat to you?"

"Mr. Downey, that not my division."

Abruptly, he turns around and glares right at me.

"You are my personal assistant. You do whatever I want you to do. That's your division." His eyes wander over my body and I feel the atmosphere in the room change. "Pleasing me.....that's your job."

His eyes wander back to his reflection in the mirror.

I roll my eyes and sigh. "Alright, calm your tits." I whisper the last bit.

As I look at into the mirror and into his face, I catch him looking at me, with a raised eyebrow and a cheeky grin on the lips.

"Welcome back, Miss Sassypants."

He closes the top button of his blue shirt and tightens his tie around his neck. "I kind of missed those kind of pants. Although, these right now fit you extremely well..."

For a moment I don't know what to say and just stare at him.

"That's a dollar for the jar, Sir."

"What? Again?" He rolls his eyes and pulls a dollar bill out of his pants. "You know that I really shouldn't actually waste my money on this. How are you even gonna use this money?"

"If you don't want to put money in the inappropriate-innuendo-jar, then don't make inappropriate-innuendos. "

A smile grows on his lips and he puts the dollar into my stretched out hand. "Fair enough." When his fingers touch mine, a sudden lighting shoots through my body and I immediately pull away.

"I don't know yet, maybe I will buy you a book. I'm thinking something like, 'How to talk to your employees - for Dummies'."

Mr. Downey steps closer again and straightens his hair in the back of his neck. "Or you could buy yourself something nice..."

The questioning look on my face, seems to amuse him. "Joke! That was a joke, Miss Lovato. You're supposed to laugh at that."

I slightly punch him in the shoulder. "Careful, you don't want to put a ten dollar bill in the jar, every time."

His eyes burn through me and I think about, how he looks when he's off from work. On lazy Sundays, how he looks in sweatpants and how he likes his coffee or maybe he likes tea? If he likes to watch action movies or prefers National Geographic. How we likes his breakfast and if he gets up early or likes to stay in bed.

"Miss Lovato?"

I blink a couple of times and return to reality. "I'm sorry, I drifted off. What was the question?"

"I said, I want another coffee with real milk. Not your fat free crap."

Shaking my head, I run my fingers through my hair. What was I thinking? It's definitely not right, to think about your boss in sweatpants!

"Of course! I will be right back."

I walk towards the door and open it. As I step out of the office, Mr, Downey calls my name again. "And Miss Lovato?"

"Yes!"

He takes a couple of steps in my direction and pulls a fifty dollar bill out of his jacket, handing me it.

"For your jar."

I frown. Slowly, he smiles and leans forward and winks.

"Just so you know, I like black lace."