Chapter 15

That night when it was time for bed, you prepared for your departure. You couldn't fit too much into your bag, but you mostly had small things anyway. You had your Willy Wonka posters, some of your old drawings, a few of your knick-knacks you found on the streets (like colorful marbles and tiny stuffed bears that kids would throw out when they got bored of them), and what little clothes you had, meanwhile keeping your golden ticket and Gobstopper in your pockets. After making sure you had everything, you bundled up with your coat and scarf and-so no one would get suspicious- you got into bed and turned off the lamp.

You anxiously lied on your bed wide awake in the darkness, waiting for your family to fall asleep. You had the little plan already thought up: When they were asleep you'd sneak back down and get out the door. As soon as you were out you would literally be 'home free'. You'd need firstly to drop your bag on the couch so you could climb down without making any loud thumping noises.

Your mother was like a lion, one wrong move or loud sound, and she'd attack.

You waited for what felt like forever, until you were completely sure at least an hour or so had passed. You ever so slowly got up from your bed and peered out from your opening that showed you a view of the room below. There was no movement in sight, then again it was almost completely black, so of course you couldn't see anything. But, there was also no sounds of footsteps or voices, so that helped. You grabbed your bag and carried it down the small ladder, then carefully lowered it down to the couch, the bag had a long strap so you could help it descend more stealthily.

Once it was safely in place you climbed down and dropped onto the couch yourself, then gingerly stepped off. You slung your bag over your shoulder like you normally would and tip-toed over to the door, mentally hoping you wouldn't have any complications on the way. The moonlight from the outside was your only way of seeing where you were going. You almost bumped right into the bed that your grandparents slept on, but you managed to dodge it and go around the supper table in the middle.

You stepped up to the never changing horizontal doorway and reached up to the knob. You felt the cold metal on your finger tips, giving you a brief chill. You held your breath as you carefully turned the knob and pulled the door slightly open, causing it to make an audible creak, and you fearfully cringe and looked back. 

...No one moved or shuffled. 

You exhaled silently in relief, then pulled the door open a little more.

When it was open enough for your bag to fit through, you swiftly tossed it outside, then prepared to make the final move. "What's that..?" You suddenly heard your father's voice mumble sleepily. You quickly pushed the door back but not enough to make it close, then froze in place, your heart beginning to beat faster as you realized you could be in big trouble. "What's what..?" Your mother mumbled back.

You heard their shared bed creak while the man let out a groggy groan. "Never mind, I thought I saw the door open for a second, go back to sleep..." It wasn't too long before all went quiet again. You breathed another silent, heavy sigh, then tried to open the door once more. You pulled it open as carefully and quietly as you were able, then rushed to step out before pulling the door closed.

You waited for a moment and listened to see if anyone got up, then you suddenly heard sheets being shuffled and your father's voice mutter: "I wasn't seeing things..!" You snatched your bag and ran to the left side of the house, leaning against the wall and praying he wouldn't look around while your heart was practically beating out of your chest. You heard the door get swung open, then your father's shoes crunching the snow beneath his feet with each intimidating step he took.

You felt like regardless of its previous rapid thudding your heartbeat came to an abrupt stop as he started to walk in your direction. You set your bag down behind a small bin that was conveniently close to you and got down on your hands and knees, crawling to the other side of the bin and leaning back against the wall. You covered your mouth with one hand to silence your panicked, heavy breathing as his footsteps paused, and you glanced up to see that he was practically on top of you. If he even glanced downwards he'd see you--you'd be done for.

"Hmm... maybe the door got loose from the hinges again." He grumbled, then you watched him turn around and walk away, and the door was closed within two minutes. You stood, despite your legs wobbling from nervousness and leaned your head against the wall, still panting while calming yourself down. After a minute you remembered you couldn't rest just yet, you had a chocolatier to reunite with.

You retrieved your bag and slung it back over your shoulder, then walked out of the yard. As soon as you were sure you were out of hearing range, you sprinted for it. You ran as fast as your legs could take you, and after a little while you looked back at the house you knew you'd never have to deal with again. No more creaking old wood that would wake you up in the middle of the night, no more constant working to keep the place together, and no more having to be hurt by the people inside it.

You ran down the usual snow covered sidewalk, your eyes locked on the factory at the very end. The light from the lampposts helped you see where you were going, and there was no one outside since it was late, so didn't have to worry about anyone spotting you and trying to take you back 'home'. The factory got closer and closer as you continued to run, and you just couldn't wait till you finally got there, knowing who was waiting for you. Eventually, however, you had to pause for breath and you bent over with your hands on your knees, breathing heavily as if you ran a marathon. You managed to look up and noticed you could see the gates. 

You saw a single figure by a wall, holding a cane and wearing a top hat. They kept moving their head to look left and right as if they were looking for something, or someone.

It had to be him.

You smiled widely and whisper-called: "Willy!" 

The figure looked in your direction, and you heard a familiar voice whisper-call back: 

"You made it!" 

Fighting against your exhaustion, you ran to him. He placed his cane against the wall and knelt down, outstretching his arms as a welcome for you. As soon as you reached him you both put your arms around each-other in a warm, tight embrace.

"I'm so glad you're here, I was starting to think you got caught!" Mr. Wonka told you. You giggled, nuzzling into him. He was surprisingly really warm, most likely from his large coat. After a few moments you both pulled back.

"Let's go inside, kay?" He chuckled, pointing to the factory. You grinned happily and nodded, but then a voice yelled out, echoing into the once peaceful night.

"(Y/N)!!!" It was your mother, her voice louder and angrier than ever.

You and Mr. Wonka jumped in shock at the same time. How could she have found out you were gone so soon?

"Okay, let's go inside veeery quickly." Mr. Wonka said while still a bit freaked out, and you nodded numerous times to emphasize your agreement with that choice.

He stood and grabbed his cane, then took your hand in his before you both ran as the gates opened, re-shutting shortly after you passed.

The doors to the factory itself opened and you made a mad-dash inside, not daring yourself to look back.

At last, you were free and safe.