ix. | the puzzle

ix. | the puzzle

                    THERE WERE MANY pieces to the puzzle of Knox Vienna Morris. She was secretive, illusive, bossy, dedicated, and smart. But she was so much more than that. She was a fighter - someone who, when shown the worst things imaginable, would still pull her ass up and continue to do whatever the hell she wanted to.

That didn't stop Dog Face from whacking her in the face with a splintered pool cue, but that did make her stand the fuck up and get mad. Like, really mad.

Many times in Knox's life, she'd been surprised at herself. She'd never expected to move to America alone, never seen herself learning how to use a gun, and she never even cared about a 401K until just a few months ago. So it's understandable how surprised she was when Dog Face swung the cue again, and she lifted an arm and stopped it. With her reflexes. Like a badass.

Knox knocked the pool cue off of her arm and moved forward, swinging her fists, dodging more hits, and blinking blood from the first blow out of her eyes. She held her own just fine, somehow knowing when to move, where to hit, how to hold her fist. Everything was under control until Dog Face kicked out with one leg and swiped Knox on the left cheek, busting her lip and hitting so hard that Knox saw literal stars.

Allison appeared then, crawling out from under the pool table and grabbing Knox before she could fall completely. Someone entered the room, and through the haze of pain Knox felt, she caught eyes with Diego. He scanned the situation, grabbed Knox's ankle, and pulled her away from Dog Face, who was rearing up to fight some more.

"Stay down." He said to Knox sternly when she stopped sliding on the ground, before jumping up and joining Allison in the fight.

The two siblings moved like a team, twisting and dodging Dog Face like it was nothing. From her spot on the ground, Knox struggled to stand. She didn't want to help, but she hated being useless. She blindly held onto the kitchen counter as she stood, hand slipping on a piece of metal as she pulled herself to her feet. Once standing, she looked down at her hand to see a butter knife, about three inches long and much sharper than it should be.

Dog Face, realizing she was outnumbered, dropped her cue sticks and bolted past Knox. Knox followed her with her eyes, then tossed the butter knife at Diego without looking, knowing he was out of the throwing knives on his leather vest. "Get her," she said, holding her breath as the blade came back, twisting in the air and narrowly avoiding Knox's head.

The knife found a home in Dog Face's thigh, but she still made a hasty retreat. Allison grabbed Knox's arm, twisting the woman so she could see her face.

"Oh my god," she said, dark brows coming together in worry over concerned eyes, "I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

"Fine," Knox quipped, pulling away. "But don't let her get away!" Like they'd forgotten completely about Dog Face, Diego and Allison glanced at each other in surprise. "Go!" Knox urged when they stood still.

Not needing another word, Diego and Allison sped off, pounding up the stairs to the foyer with Knox hot on their heels. She was still dizzy from the blow to her head, but able to move well enough. The three slammed through the door at the top of the staircase, and ran into the foyer, right to Luther who was heaped on the ground, groaning in pain.

"Luther!" Allison called quickly, running ahead and placing a hand on his arm.

Diego and Knox moved closer, each standing on one side of the massive behemoth of a man on the ground. Without speaking, the three pulled Luther to his feet, propping him up and looking around wildly for the intruders.