Delayed

"Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that a train in front of us has broken down. We apologise for the delay and hope to be moving soon. In the mean time, please remain in your carriage and await further instructions." The driver announced over the tannoy

A young female exhaled through her nose irritably, returning her pointed gaze to her book after rolling her eyes in the direction of the tannoy speaker. This was exactly what was meant to happen to her, spending her late Friday evening stuck on a train. A shitty end to the shitty week she had been having. She pulled her black coat around her a little tighter, still damp from being caught in the rain but at least providing her with some warmth while the ends of her hair dried off and started to form soft curls.

Sitting at the seats across at the other window of the carriage, James rubbed his face tiredly and stretched out his legs in an effort to get comfortable. He loosened the tie around his neck and glanced around the train carriage in curiosity. Most of the other passengers had gotten off beforehand, and since they were nearing the end of the line there was only a handful of people in the carriage. He noticed the red haired woman, a snoozing business man at one end, and another grumbling about the situation while checking his watch continuously. There wasn't anyone else in the carriage except the ticket man occasionally moving on through. James just sighed, glancing at his phone to kill the boredom.

After around 30 minutes or so, and still no movement the ticket collected passed through the carriage again with a string of apologises for the passengers. Natasha smiled kindly at him as he passed and checked her watch.

10:44pm.

Her feet ached from a long day at work in heels followed by a "let's cheer you up" dinner with her friend Sharon. In fairness it had worked for a short while, but the buzz of a message on her phone cause a bubble of anger and betrayal and hurt to rise in her chest once more.

"Babe, I'm sorry. Please. Let me explain. She meant nothing."

She was strong enough not to waver on her decision, set in stone when she caught her recent ex in bed with some girl from a bar when she decided to drop by early from work the other day.

"Bastard." She muttered under her breath, flicking her gaze back to her book as the message on her phone disappeared as the screen went black once more.

"Me or Mr Darcy?"

She looked up quickly as James quirked a brow in her direction, looking up from his phone with an amused grin on her face.

"Sorry, that wasn't meant for you." She apologised. "...or Darcy" She added, cheeks flushing red with embarrassment before she rubbed her forehead, visibly stressed. "Just a text...never mind. Sorry, again."

He chuckled softly "It's alright. It's not the worst thing I've been called." He sent her a teasing grin that made her smirk softly in return, her body relaxing a little. "Rough day?"

"Rough week," she shrugged with a half laugh "At least it's the weekend, right?."

"What a way to start it." He rolled his eyes as the driver announced they'd be waiting for another 30 to 40 minutes.

She visibly deflated. "Fuck..." she closed her eyes as she sighed the word, letting her head fall back against her seat.

James smirked as she cursed, finding it oddly endearing and also, hot. "I'm sure you had much better plans for your evening?" He inquired, and she turned her attention back to him, a stirring of excitement at his curiosity as she sat her book down. 

"Not exactly. There's and empty bathtub and full bottle of wine waiting for me, sadly that's all I was looking forward too."

"Sounds more exciting that my night of laundry." He admitted, watching a playful smirk enhance her features.

"Friday night is your laundry night?" She teased. "What an exciting life you must lead."

"Coming from the lady that's got a date with a porcelain tub, some bubbles and Merlot"

She smirked softly. "How did you know my boyfriends name was Merlot?" It felt good to joke and smile. It had only been a week that she'd felt pretty low about herself, but it was quickly changing in a strangers company.

He laughed at her joke, turning a little more in his seat to face her direction. "Is that his real name?"
He gave her a cheeky grin that only widened when she laughed softly, seeing right through him.

"I already told you his name." She replied evenly. "Bastard." She smiled as he laughed before she gave a small shrug. "Ex-bastard technically."

"On the subject of names then, I'm James." He introduced himself, motioning to the seat across from her. "Mind if I join you?"

"Be my guest, James." She offered, "I'm Natasha."

He slid into the seat across from the small table in front of her, bringing his large brief case and belongings with him. She nodded to it in amusement. "Is that your laundry in there?"

"Paperwork. Much more boring than laundry."

"Wow. You really are in for a fun weekend." She teased. "Late night in the office, laundry and extra work to bring home."

"Living the dream, really." He smirked, her teasing sitting well with him since they shared the same humour and confidence.

She noted the sparkle in his eyes, a deep blue colour she felt she could swim in. Subconsciously she found herself looking for a wedding band, and felt a peak in her interest when there wasn't one.

He watched the natural curls of her hair bounce very slightly whenever she dipped her head to laugh or tilt it curiously as she listened. Mostly he watched her glow, absorbed by her personality.

They spent the rest of their night talking, laughing, continuously teasing until the train slowly started to move again and the driver let them know they were back in route. A faint pinch of disappointment nipped at them both.

They rose together when their stop was announced, and stepped onto the platform together and ducked under the footbridge for shelter from the pelting rain.

"You aren't getting a cab?" He asked, watching her readjust her coat so she could covering her head.

"I live two blocks away, it won't take long."

"Can I offer to walk you there? It's dark and wet."

"I'm a big girl, I can handle it." She smiled, he smirked in response.

"I don't doubt you can." He offered out his umbrella to her after opening it up and holding it over her head. "Take this. You'll need it more than I will."
She tried to protest but he politely insisted.

Holding it above her, she thanked him before they stepped out into the rain once more and heading their opposite ways.

"Wait." She called, turning back to face him. "How will I get this back to you?" She gestured with the umbrella.

"Consider it a gift." He smiled, letting the rain soak him like he hadn't a care in the world. "Don't let any Bastards ruin anymore of your weekends, Natasha."

She smirked softly, walking backwards as she winked at him. "I won't." She replied, turning with a smile on her face as she headed off towards her apartment.

Only when she let herself into her building did she stop to shake the droplets of water from the umbrella and put it down. She paused noticing a small card folded into the handle, right under her nose that she'd missed it. She pulled it out, smirking as she read the details of his business card and figured that actually it wasn't a bad end to the week after all.