Paper Dolls

This story was originally posted on AO3

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17778182

Original cover... just for funzies...

Bonus Author's Note:

Hello *waves*
I know nothing about writing author notes so here we go...

Personally, I have a bit of a bad history with writing, but I'm trying to get out of that and I needed to get this story out of my head. Klance is one of my favorite ships and many artists have inspired me so very much. I have a few WIPs from over the years, but this is the first Klance one I've finished so I decided to post it. This is minimally edited and I don't have a beta so yup...
But I'm still open to constructive feedback... just don't be an ass about it... (:

The idea for this was born a few months ago.... but then I really started to write it during klancemonth 2019... and I wanted to finish it in the month... but then midterms came around and I didn't... but here it is now :)

Corinne Bailey Rae is secretly one of my favorite singers (most people don't know I love her music). My favorite album is The Sea, which the song Paper Dolls is from. This story was born at 12 am and was mainly inspired by the chorus. I don't know why, but in the moment, it reminded me of myself and of Keith.
Here is the link to the song if you wanna listen to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeczrrW4c5U

Note: each 🎶 is a change in POV

Enjoy!

🎶

And all the boys would go wild for you

It was finally open mic night at Voltron cafe.

Keith walked the few snow covered blocks between his apartment and the cafe wrapped up in his favorite red scarf that his brother Shiro gave him for his birthday in October. He took one last chilly breath before pushing the first set of doors open and walking inside, the room's warmth making him smile. Keith loved Voltron's open mic nights. Ever since he transferred to Altea University and its honors astrophysics program, Thursday nights served as his little creative outlet. Although Keith didn't sing, and definitely didn't sing publicly, he still loved to take refuge in the back of the cafe and watch everyone perform while also bugging Shiro and his friend Allura as they worked behind the counter. Allura was the founder of open mic nights and the owner of the cafe, and in response to his teasing she constantly tried to convince him to work there. He always refused.

As he opened the second set of doors, he nearly stepped into Pidge, the genius behind the tech of each magical Thursday night. He knew she also went to Altea, but he never really saw her around so he didn't really know much about her. After she scurried past, not even looking up from the bundle of cords wrapped up in her arms, Keith walked to his usual seat in the corner while his eyes simultaneously scanned the crowd for the cute blue boy.