part 1: mary jane

i sat in the back of mr morton's classroom; my number two pencil bouncing nonstop on my desk.

it was sixth hour for me: five minutes until the long day of "jail" ended.

its not like i was bad at school. no, i had a's in all my classes. i just hated being there.

2 more minutes. i sighed quietly and slipped my notes in my folder. it was friday, and my friend mary jane was throwing a party for herself.

usually i would turn down any invitation to a party. but not this time. strangely, i was looking forward to the event.

just as morton finished his droning, the bell rang throughout the classroom. i bolted out of my chair and into the hallway, stumbling to my locker.

mary caught up with me on my way out. she was giving me a ride home. "chloe! aren't you excited?"

i fake-smiled at her. i was used to that. fake friends led to fake smiling. "yep. of course."

mary grinned as we climbed into her red range rover.

when we got to her house, i helped her set things up. around five, guests started showing up.

a little after eleven thirty, it started getting dark. mary suggested that the very few guests that were left and us should play a game.

she came out of her room a few minutes later, holding up the classic ouija board game.

i shook my head quickly. "guys? can we play something..else?"

"cmon chlo..it'll be fun!" mary said.

"yeah." my other close friend, garrett, nudged me slightly. "it's just a game. isn't it?"

"fine. whatever." I shrugged, inwardly sighing.

at first, the game was going slow. people were asking lame ass questions, and we were getting lame ass answers. but right when I put my fingers on the board to play, things got into action.

"which one of us do you like the most?" garrett asked the 'spirit.'

it slowly spelled out my name. "guys!" I freaked. "please, let's just--"

before I could finish, the spirit spelled out 'please don't be scared.'

this, of course, scared me even more. I clung onto garrett as he asked questions.

"what's your name?" mary asked. that was the one thing you were never supposed to ask a spirit.

"jack." it spelled.