chapter three

it was the next day, and cesar was a nervous wreck.

in front of oscar, he seemed composed and tough.

in front of me, he was vulnerable and paranoid most of the time.

his friend, monse, which i had learned, would be coming home from a writing camp today.

monse had no clue about what she had missed throughout the summer, and cesar despised the idea of her finding out about what he had said in the first few hours of her arrival.

"i'll let her find out herself." he had told me, certain of his choice. "then i'll confront her about it."

i was skeptical about the idea, but the certainty in his voice told me that i shouldn't question it.

he begged me to be with him for the day, as he had described monse as a very confrontational person, and wouldn't doubt that she would be fuming.

he told me that i was now partially involved into his mess - which i argued wasn't true - and that i absolutely had to help him.

the both of us were sat in the front with the rest of the gang, cesar and i talking turns to drink a can of cold beer.

most of them were either faded or drinking some sort of alcohol. although some, like oscar and my brother, were just chatting.

"how did you even find out she was coming today?" i asked cesar, taking a sip of the corona in my hand. it tasted gross, but i wanted to blend in a bit more with the group.

cesar, although, chugged like it was a routine.

"she told me before she left," he shrugged, squinting as the sun came over his face. "i just kept it in mind."

i nodded, passing the can to him.

i noticed he was tapping his foot anxiously, and kept constantly looking at the sidewalk in front of us.

"chill," i told him, lightly placing a hand on his knee so it would stop moving. "you're getting yourself worked up."

he shook his head, running his hand through his hair. "i-i am?"

my eyes trailed down to his still-shaking-leg, and he chuckled.

"okay, okay. maybe i am."

i laughed, and grabbed the can back, taking a sip.

i noticed oscar stand up, and walk toward us.

"you guys wanna go for a ride? i'll take you to get ice cream or whatever the fuck you want." he asked. he looked a little high, but it was barely noticeable. the eyes gave it away, though.

cesar looked at me, and i nodded.

"sure?" i replied , and he simply nodded, walking to the driveway to turn on his car.

cesar looked at me skeptically, helping me up and following his brother to the car.

we piled in, oscar driving and cesar in the passenger's seat. i took a seat in the back.

he drove us out of the driveway, on to the road.

"so, mari. plans for high school?" oscar asked, looking at me from the rear-view mirror.

"um, i honestly got no clue." i shrugged, leaning against the window.

"just know, mrs.aruga is a bitch. she teaches ap history. don't go into ap history." he shook his head, and i chuckled.

"what about a sport? i'm taking-"

cesar was cut off, as oscar immediately hit the brakes, causing me to go flying into the back of cesar's seat.

always wear your seatbelts, kids.

"hey, you crazy?" oscar yelled, sticking his head out the window.

i looked up, and noticed a girl standing in the front of the car, staring us down.

she walked over to oscar's side, and bent down.

"i- uh, just wanted to let cesar know i was back in town." she pursed her lips, staring him down from across the car.

oh shit.

cesar sent pleading eyes to me from the rear-view mirror.

oscar smirked, his eyes looking at her up and down.

"looking like a fine ass hyna." he nodded.

she glared at him for a brief second, "an underaged hyna."

"not for some."

i rolled my eyes, leaning against my seat.

"it's all good, you just look a little different. what is it?" he asked, tilting his head.

"my boobs." she answered plainly, pursing her lips.

i furrowed my brows, confusion landing on me.

the fuck.

"nah," oscar chuckled lightly. "you got your braces off."

and with that, he started the engine again, leaving the girl behind us as he drove away.