Day 34

Hula

It is dark. So dark that you couldn't even see your own hand in front of you. I look behind me and see the family and their large, scared eyes.

"Follow me down this alleyway," I tell them. The mother kisses the top of her son's and her daughter's head. The city isn't the best place to be during the Revelation. The bigger the city, the worse. I look back and see the little girl play with the beads in her hair. I see a dark figure down the alleyway, so I prepare my spear for action. I rub the thirty-seven tallies on the stick and recite a small prayer before approaching.

When I come near, I realize that the dark figure is a riser who is gurgling. The majority of the throat is missing. I raise the spear and push it into the head before it even is able to turn around. It sinks to the ground as I pull the end of the weapon out of its head. I wipe the muddy blood onto an already bloody bandana.

I bring the family around a few more corners and streets until I can see the fences. Behind the fences there lies a bus. It is a smaller bus, one from the retirement home. I unlock the green, plastic-covered fence and hurry the family inside. I close the gate, locking it loosely because we would be leaving soon anyway.

I usher them into the bus and they meet the eyes of a few other families. It's cramped, but I managed to fit all four of these families here. I count heads and count seven adults. Check. I count four teens, two girls, and two boys. Check. And there are six children; I count four girls and two boys if you count a babe and a toddler. Check.

Once I account for everyone, I hop in and drive near the gate. I open the gate, drive through, and then get out again to lock it securely. I glance back at all of them and smile. The little girl with beads in her braids smiles back at me. We drive off.

I take many backroads and eventually arrive at the place. It is a gated neighborhood that was under construction before everything happened. People had only just started living here, and all of them have scrambled. Most of the houses are complete. It was a place that was supposed to have its own park and library as well.

I tediously hop out of the car and go up to the front gate. "Sky, it's Hula. Open the gate," I yell out to her. Shortly after, I see her long, dark brown-haired head rush over. She opens the gate quickly, and I hop into the bus to drive inside. We close the gate, and I park the bus near the entrance in case we need to suddenly escape.

I help the families out of the bus. They all stand, facing me, and one of them closes the back bus doors. I study all of their worried eyes and clear my throat.

"Hello everyone. I know that you are all worried deeply about everything that has been going on. I'm sure you have questions such as will I have food tomorrow? Or, when will we get help?" I look at one of the worried mothers and see her strong grip on her child's arm.

"I want to help you guys and keep you guys safe. I need all of the capable people who feel comfortable to learn to rid of the risers. They are a threat to us. It is not murder, and this comes from a religious man. It is righteously self-defense." The two teen boys, a mother, and three fathers step up.

"Sky, do you have any spare walking sticks? Maybe some stone?" She walks over to me with three sticks and a bag with supplies. "Who already has a weapon?" A teen boy and two fathers raise their hands. "Okay, what are they?" The teen takes out a machete from a holster and both men take out handguns one from their waistband and the other from a holster. It also looks like they have some kitchen knives. I nod in approval.

"Since it is still dark, we will sit tight, but later today we will start some training. Sky and I cleared the place earlier today, but we should all sleep in the same room to be safe. Sky and I will also take shifts to guard us. Hopefully, all of us will take turns eventually," I tell the families. We all walk to one of the completed homes, and I invite them inside. I make sure they settle before going outside.