Chapter Twenty-Five

Mom claims to be feeling generous in giving my phone earlier than she wanted to. Since it's been two weeks since she took it, I don't feel like asking how long she originally planned to keep it.

"By the way," she adds, pouring her Friday morning coffee. "There's a launch party we're all attending next month. You'll need a dress before then."

My hands take the time to be familiarized with the phone. "Why can't I wear one I have?"

"Because all your dresses make you look like an eight-year-old having a tea party with teddy bears. This party is sophisticated; therefore, you need a sophisticated dress." She adds the milk and sugar in her coffee.

"I'd rather wear a suit." Lately, I've been obsessed with various models rocking in them. And the gorgeous hairstyles. Lemme just say, I would look delicious with a French twist and grey suit. Maybe some stilettos, too.

"You can wear a suit whenever you want," Mom muses. "But not at this function."

It's a bit weird to see her act like a normal mom. Maybe one of her friends told her to chill out with parenting me? 

If that's the case, I want to meet which one had the balls to do it.

A few minutes of her talking about the party -- when and where it's taking place, what to expect, etc. -- and I'm rewarded with going up to my room and playing with my phone again. I catch up with posts from mutual friends and gifs someone sent out on Twitter.

Jeremiah's been silent in text as well as in person. He hasn't talked to me since he lashed out at lunch. 

Aspen gave me details for the day trip, including pay me back for the gas. I tell her she doesn't have to do that but thanks for her generosity. I think about ending the text with a heart, but decide against it.

Ikra sent several texts, ranging from apologizing for Jeremiah's behavior to asking me if I can still drive her out to the tattoo appointment. Of course I still can, unless Mom's next move to punishing me involves taking the keys.

Soon, she won't be able to punish me. Well she can, but I'll be 4,600 miles out of reach. Which means I have to crack down on making that happen.

A couple hours later, Ms. Gumin welcomes me in the college center, after confirming my class pass to be legit. She doesn't mention last time, but as soon as I'm set up on a computer, she makes it clear to use it for 'future-planning only'.

"If you need assistance, I'm always here," she says.

"Great. Thanks."

Even while she's at the opposite side of the room, I can feel her eyes boring at the back of my skull.

I check with my college applications for any updates. Seeing nothing has changed, I go on a couple scholarship sites, including Myscholly.com. That site has a fuckload of scholarships for basically everything imaginable. Hell, I can probably find a scholarship for people who like to wear weird socks.

My clock and pinwheel mismatch counts for sure.

By the time I walk out of the center, I manage to complete entries for two separate scholarships. Both of them will take months to figure out which student gets the money, which makes me anxious. Knowing myself, I'll forget about them until August and then find out I was a winner but was passed over because I didn't claim them in time.

I manage to finish Fangirl during second period and start it back over next period. Shadler's gotten calmer on the class for the missing assignments; almost all of us turned in the summaries. Now we have to focus on the end-of-semester test we're doing next Monday.