The Night Before

Sam and Dean got done what they needed done. They found Crowley and retrieved the Colt, although it was a surprise when Crowley handed it over to them. Now we, as a family, are spending what could be our last night together.

Of course my mother would want to have a drinking contest...with Castiel.

Mom downs a shot glass quickly, only slightly wincing as it goes down, and then she gulps another two. All the while, I'm sitting in a chair a little ways from their table, just sippin' a beer.

"Alright, big boy. Go." Mom tells Cas.

Castiel responds by knocking back a shot. And another. Then three more.

"I think I'm starting to feel something."

Holy crap, this angel can hold his liquor! That was their second round!

This 'Drinking Game' is going to go on for a while, I'm gonna need another beer.

Before I get up, I look over and notice Sam and Dean arguing over something, as always. I wait for them to resolve their little spat, because I want Dean's attention on me when get that drink. As if on cue, the boys start to calm down, so I get up and go over to the fridge, bending over slowly to grab the bottle from the short icebox. I can just feel his eyes on me.

I rise and turn around to find him up close and personal, obviously about to flirt with me.

"Hey."

"Hey." I reply.

"Hm. So. Dangerous mission tomorrow." Dean states, almost too casual. "Guess it's time to eat, drink, and...you know. Make merry."

I try not to laugh at his silly attempt to pick me up. "Are you giving me the 'Last Night on Earth' Speech?"

"What?"

"What?"

"No." He laughs, attempting to brush off the rejection. "No. If I was, would uh, would that work?" He raises his eyebrows slightly, as if in question.

I smile, put the beer on the counter next to me, and look back over to him. I put my left hand behind his head and begin to lean in, as if I were about to kiss him.

Just before my lips touch his, I pull back. "No. Sweetheart, if this is our last night on earth, then I'm going to spend it with a little thing I call self-respect." I laugh a little bit as I say that last part. I then turn and walk away from Dean and his bruised ego.

I hear him make a side comment. "If you're into that kinda thing."

Bobby calls "Everybody, get in here. It's time for the line-up. Usual suspects, in the corner."

"Oh come on Bobby." My mother, Ellen, complains. "Nobody wants their picture taken."

"Here here." Someone agrees.

"Shut up, you're drinkin' my beer. Anyway, I'm gonna need somethin' to remember your sorry asses by." Bobby replies gruffly.

"Ha! It's always good to have an optimist around." Mom says sarcastically.

"Bobby's right. Tomorrow we hunt the devil. This is our last night on earth." Castiel states, with an almost unnoticeable sadness in his voice.

He always has to be the bringer of bad news, doesn't he?

Tick, tick, tick, CLICK. Flash.

Nobody smiles for the picture.