My Mother's Sacrifice

I can still remember how sweet my mother is to me, when I am a grade 5 students in the elementary.

I am a very naughty kid who hated to study, but my grades are not very low. My grades never went to line of 7 but line of 8. If there is a subject that I really-really don't like is mathematics.

Yes I hate math but I am greedy when it comes to money! He he he!

It so happen that the 2nd periodical exams will happen tomorrow and I am not reviewing. My mother happens to be a very good student when she was in her study age. But she is still very good at every subject; English, science, social studies, Filipino and math! And my mother knows that I really don't like math.

It was around 6pm when we finished our dinner. She told me to get a pen and paper, and she told my older sister to get a calculator. She wants us to have a showdown about math.

The question is, who will be better; me with my pen and paper and brain or my sister with her calculator and brain?

Pretty obvious, right? My sister will win because she have calculator and I have only pen and paper. I don't have a chance. But it turns out that I can compute faster than a calculator, even if I only have the pen and paper. This is due to the fact that me and my siblings are raised to be a thinker, not a manipulator.

After the contest, which I won, we went to bed, with confidence that I can like math and passed it because I learned how fun math is if there is a competition involved. Me and my sister share the same bed.

It was a summer night, so the heat is to be expected. But that night, the power went out (brown out) and the heat doubled! My mom went to our room with a paper fan and she began fanning air over our body and asked us to close my eyes and sleep. I did so and felt asleep in no time. Next morning i woke up and to my surprise i saw my mom sitting in the same posture with the fan in her hand & smiling at me. She stayed awake the entire night so that i can comfortably sleep! Her eyes were a proof of how tired she was .The power failure wasn't solved even by then. She told me that she tried contacting the electricity office a couple of times during the night but they insisted on solving it in the morning for it was a transformer problem. Then she proceeded to prepare breakfast for me and prepare me for school! Moms are simply god' gift!