Chapter Six

Three months and two weeks had passed since the rumours of Selah sleeping with Wale spread. She and Ese were no longer hanging out as they used to. In his words, he had told her that he needed some time to think and seeing her will just bring back a reminder that she had stained her name. 'Seriously? Stained her name? With what?' she had asked herself and laughed.

Desperate and losing communication with all her friends, Selah decided to visit the one person that she had said she won't see again. She dressed up and before leaving, she went to Vanessa's room.

'Where are you going to, dressed like a nun?' Vanessa asked her.

'I'm going to see a friend. She isn't feeling fine.'

'Since when did you have friends that I don't know about?' she asked.

'Since I decided it wasn't your business. I just came to see you.'

'So is that why you have to answer me like that? If you don't want to tell me, fine, no be only you get friendship,' Valerie hissed.

'Eh...leave it like that. I'm going, bye.'
She stared as Selah walked out of the room. She knew her friend was going through a rough time but she also knew her friend was fond of making rash decisions and crying about the outcome later, so she called Ese.

'Hey Ese.'

'Heyy...Valerie right?'

'It's Vanessa,' she said aloud with irritation, '...ehmm I know you and Selah are not close right now but please I need you to call her and find out how she is doing. Apart from me, she needs a friend, someone she doesn't consider a bother to her like she calls me, abeg.'

'Okay. Thanks for telling me sha. No qualms. Bye.' She ended the call.

Ese called Selah  immediately. Her heart skipped when she saw the call. She didn't know if it was skipping for joy or she was scared of what he would say. She picked the call and placed the phone on her ear, just to hear him talk first.

'Selah, it's Ese.' he finally spoke.

'What's up Ese. Today you remembered me, who died?' she responded, rolling her eyes.

'No one. Was just checking up on you. I know both of us are not in talking terms.'

'Awww...that's so sweet. I'm touched.' she scoffed.

Ese sighed and continued. 'Maybe we can hang out this evening, if you are not busy.'

She wanted that, more than anything but he had hurt her by thinking she had slept with Wale. He called her to fulfil all righteousness.

'I will be busy this evening.'

'Doing what? You wan go see man abi?' he mockingly said but she didn't find it funny.

'Is it your seeing? And all of a sudden, you care abi? Oga, abeg I just want to rest and think, I don't have strength to argue with you iyeh. I've been through a lot and the last thing I want to do is stress myself any further. Kapish?'

'You want to rest and think in Wale's house? Then you will tell me that you didn't do anything. I'm not dumb Selah but you're your own person. Enjoy.' He knew he shouldn't have said what he said but he couldn't take it back.

At this point, she didn't know when she shouted on the phone and tears dropped from her eyes. She wasn't supposed to cry but her eyes had become their own boss. 'You think its funny? I don't know why it is paining you like this. Ese, abeg just allow me to breathe. Please.'

Ese wasn't shocked, he was angry and disappointed. Their friendship had hit rock bottom and it wasn't up to four months.

At Wale's apartment, Selah threw herself on the big couch and closed her eyes. Somehow, she always found comfort with him.

'Do you want anything?' he asked her, sitting on the opposite sofa and looking at her. She said no and adjusted to her comfort.

'I don't know what happened Wale. We were here in the parlor and now, it's we slept together. I don't know what happened. Who would have done this?'

Wale sighed. 'My guess would be Kunle said he saw a girl in my house and some idiot said something different.'

'Why would Kunle go around saying shit? It wasn't his business who came visiting. Did you confront him?' she asked, looking in his face.

He nodded. 'He said he just said it casually that he saw a girl in my house and someone must have heard differently and said shit around.'

'Well his "casually" caused me my sanity,  dignity, sleep and friendship. Congratulations to him,' she turned and closed her eyes to sleep.

'I'm sorry Selah, for what you've been through.' Wale said. She nodded and gave a thumbs up.

That night, Selah got to her room late and met her bunky waiting for her, alongside Vanessa.

'Bunky where have you been?'

'I went out.' She didn't really feel like she owed anyone any explanation of a sort about her life anymore.

'Since morning? To where?'

'Bunky, abeg no vex but I don tire. I just want to rest. I had a long day and I'm not in the mood. Thank you.'

She walked past the door, ignoring her friend and entered her corner. It had been a long day at Wale's apartment but she was settled in her heart that it was over.