Trespass

"Seriously?" I asked myself, aggravated that the loop of my jeans had somehow gotten snagged on a piece of the rusted wire fencing behind me. I was trying to loosen its grip when a sharp pain hit me on the back of my head.

"Aw! What the-" I started to exclaim but was cut off when another stab hit my leg, right below my ass. "Shit!"

I turned around to see where the projectiles were coming from. To my surprise, a camo-wearing brunette with long flowing locks, wearing overalls and an intense glare stood before me. Her stance indicated that the next rock was headed straight for my eyes if I moved a muscle in the wrong direction.

"Uh," I began cautiously. "Hold up. Hold up. Don't shoot."

"Why shouldn't I?" the little warrior goddess asked me in deadly calm. "You're on our property. Uninvited."

I used my left hand to scratch my chin. "Just...let me untangle myself and I'll explain." Before she could object, I hastily turned and finally broke my jeans free from the fence.

Moving back to face her, I noticed she still held the slingshot at ready.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I tried to reason. "You can put that thing down."

Tossing her head back and lowering her aim slightly, she laughed briefly before resuming her no-nonsense position. "I don't think so."

I turned my head slightly and offered her a smile. "Please?"

"Oh, well since you put it so nicely," she continued with a smirk before answering firmly. "No."

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. "My name is Adam. I just wanted to hang out down by the stream. I didn't think anyone would be there this time of day. I wasn't going to do anything wrong."

"Why aren't you in school?" she asked me warily. I kept my eyes on her hands as I answered. I wasn't looking forward to being hit with another rock if she didn't like my response.

"I could ask you the same thing," I said with a sly grin. Maybe a little flirting would loosen her up.

Raising one eyebrow, she looked at me in surprise. "Yeah, right. As if."

Confused, I stared at her with a frown. "What?"

"Like you don't already know," she answered with a sneer. "My daddy told me all about you guys at Garden Hall. I know why you're there...what your kind would do to a girl like-"

Cutting her off, I put my hands up in the air. "Listen, I don't know what you're talking about. I just needed to get away for an afternoon and wanted to sit by the water, walk around the forest some, and then I was going to leave," I tried to explain.

"I don't really fit in at Garden Hall and needed to get away."

I was losing my steam as the earlier adrenaline rush abated. "I got into a pretty bad fight with someone this morning and I'm washed out. You know?"

"Who?" she asked.

"Who?" I replied, not understanding.

"Who did you get in a fight with? Did you beat him up? Are you some kind of rebel?"

I suppressed the urge to make fun of her. Rebel? Where did this girl come from? Who talks like that?

Exhaling, I continued. "My dad. I got into an argument with him before school. He's pretty stubborn. It's always his way or the highway. Do as I say or get out!" I explained, mimicking Dad's condescending voice on the last part. I kicked a nearby tree branch and growled. "Pisses me off. I just want to experience things, you know? Have a little freedom; get out a little bit; live a little."