CHAPTER FIFTEEN - GUNS

A few days later, Lieberman told them that he had learned about a Homeland Security operation that involved guns

A few days later, Lieberman told them that he had learned about a Homeland Security operation that involved guns. Lots of them. And Frank, of course, decided he wanted to get them before Homeland did.

Frank asked if Lieberman was going with him. As he did, Lieberman shook his head, looking sick about it. He told Frank that before, the violence was merely theoretical. That now that it was going to happen, he was having second thoughts, and that he couldn't stomach the violence.

Frank then brought up the fact that Sarah mentioned to him that David had never gotten his hands dirty, which got him pissed enough to go.

Frank then went to Charlotte, who was leaning against a wall, watching the interaction and waiting to see if she'd need to break up a fight.

"You coming?" He asked. "You know I need you."

"I know," she replied cockily. "You would have been dead a long time ago without me."

"So? You in?"

"Yeah, I'm in." She nodded. "But I'm driving that killer Mustang you stole the other day."

"I'm driving with you. Lieberman'll be in his van."

"Sounds like a plan."

Lieberman backed out of the building in his van, and Charlotte and Frank went out back to where the Mustang was parked next to her bland car. Charlotte slid into the driver's seat, and Frank unto the passenger's.

She put the keys into the ignition and hummed appreciatively as the engine roared to life. "This is quite an amazing car," she mused. "Not as amazing as my other car, but a beauty still."

"Where've you got another car?" Frank asked, kind of surprised.

"There are still plenty of things you don't know about me, Castle." She smiled a little to herself as she reversed out onto the street. "I've got a friend looking after it for me."

"What kind of car is it?"

"'59 Chevy El Camino. Cherry red. It's my baby. My one true love."

It was true. She adored the car more than most things. It was also the most expensive thing she owned. Not that she owned anything that could even compare to the car— in beauty or in price tag.

"You name it, too?" She knew he was joking. He clearly thought there was no possible way that she could have. Oh, but she did.

"Of course I did. Her name is Millie." She put the car into drive, and stepped on the gas.

"You serious?"

"Deadly."

"Never would've taken you for a car woman."

She flashed a grin at him. "Oh, I'm full of surprises."

"Yeah, you are," he agreed.

"So," she said after a few moments of quiet, "What's the plan?"

"Lieberman's hacking into Homeland's communication feed. We're hijacking the truck with the guns, then switching with Lieberman. He takes the truck, we come back to the Mustang and take off."

"And you're sure this is foolproof?"

"Nope."

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "Next time, I'll make the plan."

"You got it."

The whole thing went as planned. Well, almost the whole thing. Charlotte and Frank switched places with Lieberman and ran back to the Mustang, speeding away quickly. Just as they thought they were alright, a car appeared behind them.

"What the hell?" Charlotte swore, glancing behind them.

"Homeland. Agent Madani."

"How do you know that?"

"You know that night I went out?"

"Yeah." She did. He'd left her alone with Lieberman and came back later, just telling her he was out. That she shouldn't worry about it, he would tell her if it was important. She'd believed him.

"I killed this guy, Wolff. Dirty cop. Madani didn't like that much."

"Goddamn it, Frank, why didn't you tell me?"

"I should have, I know that." He glanced behind them, watching as Madani gained on them. "Might want to go faster."

So she did. She hit the gas and they lurched forward. She took a sharp turn when they got to an intersection, then another after that. "She still behind us?"

"Yep."

"Alright. Hold on tight."

"What are you do—" she stopped and turned around, then hit the gas. They were driving right toward Madani.

Charlotte had done this countless times before. It was a simple game of chicken. The other person always backed out. Always.

"Charlotte—" she went faster.

They were getting closer, and Madani wasn't quitting. Neither was she.

"Romanoff!" They were getting so close. They just had to pass one more intersection, and they'd hit each other. Unless one of them swerved. Charlotte would not.

But Madani reached the intersection first, and a truck barrelled into her and sent the car flying onto its back. Charlotte slammed on the breaks, the car screeching to a halt.

It was the gun truck. Lieberman.

Frank got out of the Mustang first, then Charlotte followed. He pulled Madani out of her car and laid her on the street. He spoke to her, though Charlotte didn't know if she was awake or not.

Sirens sounded from a few blocks away, and Charlotte called him back to the car. "Frank, they're coming. We have to go. They'll take her to a hospital."

He listened to her, and he and Charlotte drove off in the Mustang and Lieberman in the truck.

They dumped the truck when they got far enough away and took the guns. The sun was coming up by the time they got back to Lieberman's place. When they finished hauling in the guns, the three of them each slumped down into their chairs, tired.

Frank glanced over at Charlotte, whose eyes were struggling to stay open. "Hey, you want to go home? I can drive you."

"No, I'm good." She shook her head, opening her eyes a little too much, as if that would keep the tired look from them.

"Come on, you're exhausted. Let's go."

"Fine, lets go." Frank told Lieberman they'd be back later, never specifying when 'later' was. He drove them both back to her apartment, where they both dragged themselves up the stairs and into their respective rooms, and passed out.

A/N: Kinda meh? I don't know how I feel about this, really. Writers block hit me hard with this one. I do hope you guys enjoyed it, though, and thanks for reading!