Chapter 2

The next day I found myself being rushed around by maids. They ran me a bath, helped me into my dress, and fixed my hair.

My mind could only focus on the feast tonight. There would be noblemen there. The last thing I wanted to do was play the role of sweet and becoming lady. In Italy, my parents didn't mind if I played like a boy and got dirty. My father in particular let me have or do whatever I wanted, whether it was painting lessons or the latest style of dress. I could tell jokes and run around with my ladies in waiting, playing hide and seek in the nooks and crannies of the castle.

I knew this day would come, when everything fun would be sucked out of my life. Still, I wasn't ready for it.

I dismissed the maids so I could think in peace. I sat at the vanity, applying a little bit of the lipstick I brought with me. I made sure to look out the window every now and again; the feast was to start at sundown. Yes, I had successfully spent most of the day hiding in my room.

A knock came at the door.

It startled me so that I jumped and smeared the lipstick across my cheek.

"Just, just a moment!" I called. I got to my feet, bent over the mirror, and tried to scrub the stain off. It faded a little, but you could still see it.

"It's Mary," the person behind the door said.

Mary. Oh no. I can't keep her waiting, she's a queen!

I hesitated before going to answer the door. My options were either look like an idiot or be rude.

"I wanted to drop in and see-oh my," Mary giggled at the sight of the stain.

"It happened right when you knocked!" I raised a hand to cover it.

"Here, it's okay. Let me come in." Mary walked in like she owned the place. Which she did.

She went to the vanity and picked up the little pallette. "Did your ladies not come with you?"

"No," I answered. "Two of them were married so they couldn't leave. Another, her family got the plague."

"The plague? That's awful. I wouldn't know what I'd do without my ladies." Mary commented and set the pallette back down.

I couldn't think of a response to that.

"Yes, well. Here. Let me see if I can fix that." Mary gestured to the vanity chair. I obliged and sat down.

"Thank you," I offered.

Mary nodded. "Of course. Now, let's see..." she grabbed a handkerchief from her pocket and rubbed my cheek.

"I know it can be hard coming to a new place. Especially with the expectation that you're getting married." She chuckled. "It's worked out well for me so far."

"When are you and Francis getting married?" Rumors had been spreading about turmoil in the French castle. I ignored it, thinking it was merely gossip.

Mary was less gentle with her scrubbing. "I don't know yet."

"Oh. Are the noblemen here handsome?"

"Some are handsome, some are nice, some are smart. If you're lucky, you'll find one with all three." Mary winked and moved so I could see her own reflection. "How's that?"

"It's perfect," I answered. It was perfect, though if it wasn't I would have lied anyways to spare Mary's feelings.

"Do you want to walk to the feast together?"

"Yes, that sounds lovely."

Mary and I walked to the feast. I was so nervous. If she was, she didn't say anything.