IMAGINE: Nikolaj and You Falling In Love

You're cleaning up a table in the pub where you work in the small village of Tybjerg when you spot a familiar face walk into the restaurant. You nearly drop the glass you're holding. "Nikolaj!" You shout, before quickly dropping everything back on the table. You run to him and throw your arms around your childhood best friend and crush, who hugs you back.

"Oh, Y/N, it's so good to see you." He breathes into your hair.

You pull back to look at him, your heart thundering. "What-what are you doing here? You haven't been back in years."

Nikolaj keeps his arms around you. "I had some time off of work and I really missed Tyberg."

"Just Tybjerg?" You raise an eyebrow curiously.

He laughs and pulls you back into his arms. "And of course its people."

Nikolaj and you have been best friends for as long as you can remember. When Nikolaj's acting career took off, he left Denmark to fully pursue the art of acting, leaving you behind to manage your parents' pub. You were devastated and heartbroken. You have rarely seen him since he left, though you still have maintained contact with him.

"Everyone is going to be so excited to see you." You beam up at him. An idea strikes you. "Hey, how long are you staying for?"

"About three weeks."

"What if-what if tomorrow night I hold a 'Welcome Home' party for you here at the pub?" You suggest. "There's a few new faces in town and, believe me, they have heard of the famous Nikolaj Coster-Waldau." You add with a smile.

"That sounds like a perfect idea, Y/N. What can I help with?"

"Oh, no, no, nothing. You don't have to help. I couldn't ask you to do that." You wave your hand in the air.

Nikolaj catches your hand, his eyes twinkling. "Y/N, you didn't ask. I offered." He say softly. "Please, let me help." He squeezes your hand.

You relent and smile. "Okay."

———

     The next day, you close the pub a little early to set up for Nikolaj's party. Nikolaj watches you as you dry some mugs and put them in a cabinet.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" You ask, not looking at him as you reach for a stack of plates.

"Y/N, is this really what you want to do?"

You look up at him, your eyebrows furrowing. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I pursued acting—I pursued my dream. Working here...managing your parents' pub...is this what your dream is?"

"I admit that when we were younger, I didn't want to be a pub manager. But that's just how things turned out. Was it my dream to work in this pub? No, but I ended up love it. I love what I do. I love it because I love this place with it's creaky floors and peeling paint. I love it because I love every single one of my customers. Nearly every person that works through that door is my family, of a sorts. We're all close here. This village is one big family. And after you left, that's really all I needed." You say the last sentence softly.

Nikolaj flinches. "I'm sorry, Y/N, for leaving you." He whispers remorsefully.

"You didn't leave me. I chose to stay." You smile sadly. His eyebrows furrow deeply. He starts to open his mouth to say something when the door opens, announcing the first party guest.

"Frederik!" You exclaim, grinning at him, as you hurry over to hug him, Nikolaj watching you, the same sad look on his face.

———