Chapter 1*

The sound of screams filled the air. There was heavy smog in the air, smoke trailing out of every house in sight. The small town was lit ablaze by wild flames, burning and consuming everything in its path.

Among the ear-piercing screeches and pleas for help was the sound of a child's cries. The child was laid bare inside a tattered box, left to die. Their small hands were clenched into fists, wailing at the horrifying sounds in the background.

People ran, attempting to escape their homes, only to be caught in the giant walls of (f/c) flames. Through the heavy smoke-tainted clouds approached a figure, eyes lit with hatred and rage. With a single wave of their hand, every person in sight was engulfed and turned to ash. 

They ignored the pleas for mercy from everyone around them, disposing of whatever dared to make a move toward them. They continued forward and approached the tattered box that lay untouched on the street corner.

Just a few feet away was a wooden pole, standing tall in the very center of the town. Held up by ropes was a figure, skin completely burnt and flesh exposed. The flames near the bottom had, by then, gone out almost completely.

The figure grew even more enraged by the sight. But before he could bring rise to even more flames, a hand grabbed his arm. They turned immediately, ready to kill whoever had touched them, but stopped.

"Lucifer, you mustn't! The child is still here!" the person shouted, motioning toward the crying newborn.

The figure named Lucifer grew alit with (f/c) flames. "Take him away from here!" he commanded.

"But--"

"Do it!" he shouted, eyes completely darkened and clouded with madness.

They hesitated no longer and took the child in their arms, fleeing away from the scene, leaving Lucifer to completely engulf the town in giant walls of fire. They cradled the child against their chest, never looking back as sparks and smoke filled the night air.

--

There was a faint ringing sound, gradually making its way from the front door to the shared bedroom of a husband and wife. The wife was the first to stir awake. She turned onto her side and nudged her husband.

"Honey..." she called. "Wake up..."

Her husband, after much nudging, awakened. "What is it?" he asked, rubbing his tired eyes.

"There's someone at the door," she replied, slowly getting up.

He sighed and got to his feet as well. "Wonder who it could be at this hour..." he muttered, heading toward the front door, his wife close behind.

He first peeked through the window, cautious about who might've been outside. But, he saw no one. "Who is it?" she asked.

The man shook his head. "No one. Let's head back to bed--"

He was interrupted by the sound of the bell, making him turn toward the door. Hesitantly, he turned the knob, expecting some sort of danger. But, instead, he was met by the sight of a child sleeping inside a basket.

"What the..."

His wife moved to the side and caught sight of the child, gasping in surprise and bewilderment. The man reached down and picked up the basket before taking a glance outside. There was no one in sight.

He handed her the basket and stepped outside, looking left and right for any sign of whoever might have left the child on their doorstep. The woman walked toward the living room and set the basket down on the sofa. She glanced down at the child, catching a glimpse of a piece of paper. She reached for it and opened it up.