Chapter Four

.☆ POV- Bronwyn

It was me and Hugh and Nim and an elderly woman named Miss Avocet who were sitting at the long table. Various assortments of foods were served on silver platter. These people were rich, much more so than those at District 7. We weren't particularly poor, but... it took a lot more hard work than sitting around eating all the time to get all our rations.

I looked to Hugh, next to me. He seemed to be zoning out what Miss Avocet was rambling about, and honestly it seemed to be what I was doing, too. But I felt awful for Hugh. And those two little kids he looked after, Olive and Claire. And all the tributes and their families and friends. No one deserved to go through this.

Miss Avocet coughed, somehow making the stiff silence worse. "I do believe this is the 51st Hunger Games?" she verified, though we could all tell she knew very well that this was indeed the 51st Hunger Games.

Nim nodded. He seemed to let out a soft, relieved sigh at the weak conversation attempt. "Year after the Quarter Quell, ma'am!"

She clapped her hands like she was simply delighted by this obvious news. "Then the winners from your district- District 7, was it?- will be training you up for the Games."

Hugh nodded without a word and I murmured a, "'Course, ma'am," through my mouthful of delicious potatoes.

My friend- I had decided to call him friend, even if we really didn't know each other very well- was finishing up dinner by scarfing down various meats. The dark-haired boy bent down slightly and whispered to me, "They do let us bring one clothing thing of our choosing, right, mate?"

"Right," I agreed, a bit taken aback. Why was that the one question, out of the thousands, millions, probably brimming in his head. Then it hit me.

The goggles.

Or glasses. Whatever they were, they were tinted circular lenses, basically goggles, that Hugh wore everywhere. He called them his good luck charm. And that was at least 110% because it was a gift from Olive and Claire for his 15th birthday. They'd saved up all their money to go to town and buy him something. And they found the goggles. And he loved them. I wouldn't doubt for half a second he'd promised them to wear the goggles throughout the entire Games, so that he would be the victor and be sent home safely.

God, I hoped he'd be sent home safely.

"Are you two done?" Nim asked.

"Do not interrupt them," Miss Avocet scolded lightly. "They are the tributes of District 7! They deserve a quite nice supper."

"Oh, it's alright," I reassured them. "We were just finishing up, aye?" I cocked an eyebrow at Hugh, who agreed. "Great food, by the way."

"Sorry," the woman apologized, getting up, "and thank you."

Moments later, we were alone in the dining room, everyone else having ran out. Weird.

"What was that all about?" Hugh asked, and I shrugged.

"You don't really suppose we'd be able to sleep tonight?" I wondered aloud.

"Not a wink," he agreed. "So, what'cha wanna do?"

"Hm?"

"Don't tell me you're actually considering staying in your bedroom 'til tomorrow." Hugh raised an eyebrow, grinning in slight disbelief.

"Yeaahhh, okay, fine, you win. Meet you on the rooftop in a few minutes?"

"You can bet on it." And with that, he slipped away down the hall, and I followed after him. Yeah. He was a friend.