Special Training

I walked upstairs and entered the barracks room. Carrie and Thomas were preparing for bed.

            "What did Agent Ross want?" Carrie asked as she slipped into her pajamas.

            I sat on my bed, kicked off my boots, and peeled off my dirty black jumpsuit. "I've been chosen to undergo some special training or something."

            "Special training, I'll bet. I think he fancies you, Eliza." Thomas said.

            I slipped into my night wear. "Please, get real, Thomas. He's a member of the Ross Family. Do you know how many girls he could have? You should see the way they throw themselves at him."

            Carrie sat on her bed and closed her eyes. "The time streams say differently. Your destinies are intertwined, Eliza. I know this to be true."

            I sat up on my bed and turned to face Carrie. "What do you see?"

            Thomas set down his bathroom kit. "Yeah, Carrie, spill it. Tell us everything about the future of David Ross and Eliza Grant."

            Carrie raised her hand to interrupt him. "I'm having trouble seeing everything, but it is a definite future. You will be involved with David Ross in some way. This is inescapable. It is your destiny to be with him." she said and opened her eyes.

            "Oh, its fated love. How bloody romantic. Well, Eliza please let me know if Carrie and I can come to the wedding." Thomas playfully mocked.

            I jumped up and grabbed my pillow. "Come on, Carrie!" I shouted and sprang towards Thomas. Carrie grabbed her pillow and we took turns pummeling Thomas. Thomas protested, threw up his arms, and dodged the storm of blows as best as he could.

            Later after lights out, I lay awake in my bed thinking about David. Why would he and Colonel Nash pick me for special training? Training one on one with David, my heart started beating faster when I thought of being alone with him in a beamship, alone with him and his gentle brown eyes, flawless skin, and curly black hair. I pictured him operating the controls, his hands guiding mine.

            No! I stopped my fantasy and remind myself of my mission. David was a member of the Ross Family and the Families were the enemy. Mary had prepared me since I was a little girl for the sole purpose of ending their rule over the Earth. I didn't know how I was going to deal with my feelings. They always got in the way. Mary always cautioned me about emotions. A Keeper of the Wend must be warm and cold at the same time. There is a time for compassion and a time for ruthlessness. A Keeper must decide the appropriate time.

            I shook my head. A Keeper was expected to walk the line between the worlds. Somehow, I was expected to manage. My last thought before sleep was of David and his gentle smile.

            I swam down through dark, murky, water of the lake. The water was cold and stung at my skin like a thousand prickling fingers. I couldn't hold my breath much longer, but I kicked furiously for the bottom. The lake was deep and I felt like I'd been swimming for hours but I promised Mary that I would touch the bottom.