PROLOGUE

ADELINE

I release a violent shiver as another gust of unforgiving night wind wraps itself around me

I release a violent shiver as another gust of unforgiving night wind wraps itself around me. I wrap my arms around myself, mentally scolding myself from wearing an outfit without sleeves.

At least I look cute.

I sneak a peek at my date that is currently tapping away at his phone and my sudden head movement catches his attention. I wrap my arms tighter around myself and supply a weak smile as he cocks a questioning brow at me.

"Cold?" He murmurs, his gaze travels to my bare shoulders then flickers back to my own. I nod, allowing myself to briefly glance at his dark hoodie that clings to his  broad frame.

The corners of his eyes crinkle and his lips upturn. My stomach flutters at the sight and my head begins to run with the thousands of possible scenarios that could take place.

Most of them end with him wrapping his jacket around me as he kisses me with those full lips of his.

The sole thing that I can say that I despise about my love for romance books, is my heightened expectations. They fed me lies, warped my mind to expect the most, when in reality, most guys weren't as charming and chivalrous.

I'm deeply disappointed when my ever so charming date, runs a hand through his curly head of dark locks and lifts a shoulder dismissedly. "That sucks.  Your outfit is worth it though. You look really hot."

I blink slowly, staring back into his amused, crinkled eyed gaze and the butterflies in my stomach are immediately dissolved one-by-one by my stomach acid.

I turn my face, ducking so that my curtain of dark hair would shield my burning red cheeks and ears from his view.

So romance is dead.

"You sure you wouldn't want me to drop you home?" He groans, finally filling the  air after a few minutes of tense silence.

I simply shake my head as I struggle to slip my phone out of jeans. Maybe I shouldn't have worn them, he definitely wasn't worth shimmying into them for two minutes, and he definitely didn't deserve to see my curves.

"They'd be here to pick me up soon." I finally murmur in response. Another gust of cold air swirls around me, and I can feel the hairs on my skin begin to rise. I don't even bother to attempt to warm myself anymore.

He huffs and props himself against his car door, joining me as me observe the other cars leave and enter the parking lot of the cinema. I see him eye me in my peripheral, and I make a conscious effort to keep my head straight.

A few minutes ago, I would have turned towards him and batted my eyes flirtatiously. Now, all I wanted was for my ride to show up, to rescue me from another failed attempt of a date.

"Maybe we can wait in the car, till they reach? It is cold out here."

I stay silent and fold my arms across my chest. I wasn't mad at the fact that he didn't give me his jacket. It was his jacket-his choice. But there was something in the way he seemed so nonchalant and dismissive about the situation that really bothered me.