Sierra Burgess is a loser

Long story short

James got Sierra's number thinking it as Veronica's. [A digit was written ambiguously] He started chatting with Sierra as a stranger. Though at first reluctant, she slowly enjoyed their midnight chats. They'd talk about books, TV shows, movies, video games. They had a lot in common. They felt a real connection. James didn't reveal her how he got her number; he gave some silly explanation. As their friendship grew, they decide to meet in person. James backed out from meeting her, after seeing the real Sierra from far away. He traced back and realized that there was a mess up with the digits. [He didn't find the correct name in True caller, as Sierra didn't register in it. She didn't want to share pictures as she was not very confident about herself]He went home and blocked Sierra's number.

The rest

James approached Veronica and asked if he could take her out for dinner. Veronica though flattered responded that she has a boyfriend. James was not really upset about it. The real thing that was troubling him was the other Veronica. He didn't find out her name even. He felt disappointed at first, then he got angry about why would she mislead him, then he realized she had done nothing wrong; it was all his stupid mistake and that he was a superficial jerk.

"Give her some time, she is going through a tough break up" said a voice from behind the counter.

Surprised James saw Sierra standing behind the counter in diner uniform. He couldn't respond anything, what could he say after he stood upon on her last time, after he blocked her number without explaining why he had to end it, after asking out another girl in front of the girl who he thought few weeks ago as the love of his life.

Sierra felt uncomfortable with his silence and said "I'm sorry poking my nose into your business. I know her we go to the same school."

James waved his gesturing no problem. He uncomfortably settled on his high chair near the counter. He swallowed his food in a hurry, he couldn't risk being confronted in person. He left the diner immediately.

Next day after school, he went to the same diner to see her, not Veronica but Sierra. Though James was not ready to be involved romantically, he became curious to know about her in real life. Maybe it was because the way she was friendly and welcoming, how she got awkward apologizing and the fact that they have similar tastes in almost everything. He thought he was in love until he met her.

He took the same chair near the counter. Sierra greeted him and he smiled back. She asked what would he like to order, in a low voice he asked for a cheese burger and coke. She noted it and passed it to the kitchen. She didn't seem to have identified him or his voice. He quietly sat there doing his homework.

James made it as a habit to visit her in diner every day after school. When asked his daily visits he said that the diner was a peaceful place to do homework. She had a friend there; James like to watch them arguing about silly things. He did not participate in those funny banters; he was merely a spectator. Sierra tried few times to involve him in their discussions but he restricted with few words. She thought he looked lonely.

"What? This is 10 bucks? Did she just eat half of it?" said a girl sitting near James. Bunch of girls roared into laughter following the queen's witty joke. Without thinking for a second he jumped out of his chair walked to their table. He yelled at them. He could not bare the thought someone bullying the girl he was in love with. The girls looked apologetic. She said that she was sorry. The girl was trying to be funny to be a part of this group; she didn't realize how hurtful it was. Although Sierra didn't witness the happenings, she came back just in time to listen to James, she didn't get the full context but she realized that it was a familiar voice.

"James" doubtful about her realization she called out. In a reflex he turned to look at her only to know that she found out who he was [the jerk who alienated her after taking one look at her]. He panicked and fled the scene.

It was eight at night, he brought up some courage to enter the diner which was about to be closed for the day. His bag was in the counter, someone might have put his scattered books inside the bag. He walked close to the counter to pick up his bag, Sierra's friend said "We are closed man". James asked for her, he said she was in the back alleyway dumping the trash.

She was at first startled by a shadowy figure in the back alley. James asked her if he could talk with her. Reluctant Sierra agreed. He explained the full story how he misunderstood her as Veronica how he was disappointed after seeing her, how he missed their everyday chats, how bad he felt for alienating her without any explanation. She listened patiently.

There was a silence neither the both had any words. James expected something else, either she would cry or she would get mad at him. Sierra on the contrary remained calm. She responded that she appreciate his honesty. She acknowledged that she was hurt and that she needed some time to heal. She assured that she would be OK and asked him not to feel sorry for her. They shake their hands and part away in opposite directions.

James really loved her. It might have been only few weeks but it felt like it was his one last chance at true love. He enjoyed talking with her. She understood all his jokes and she was funny too. They both had similar taste in movies, books, food and what not. As he took each step away from her slowly, he couldn't bear the thought that this was it, the very end. He didn't feel like this when he didn't show up for the date and not when he blocked her number. He ran back to her and asked "Shall we be friends? "

"No, I'm sorry, I can't. I thought I was in love with you. I have not experienced a heart break before. This is my first love and my first heart break, let me heal and move on with my life. I can never hang out with you and not think about the fact that you rejected me for my physical appearance. I wish you good luck. Don't worry about me, I have not turned bitter or anything. I'm sure someday I will find someone who will love me as a whole. Goodbye James "waved her hand and she walked away. It was his first heart break too.